Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working with a 2009 Star 1300. I've seen this question asked before but no one ever posts HOW they changed the cable.

I know the gas tank needs to be lifted or removed.

Does the exhaust need to be removed as well? Looks like it's impossible to get to the engine-side of the cable without removing the entire exhaust. Which itself looks like a challenge because the very front-most bolt/nut is right up next to the radiator. Plus, taking off the whole exhaust requires removing at least one O2 sensor and those things are always a PITA to mess with.

Also, looking at the engine-side I can't see how to disconnect the cable. There is a small bent-over tab keeping the cable in place. Does that tab need to be bent open? If so, it looks like it will break off. (See attached picture showing the cable end)

clutch.jpg

·
Registered
2008 Vstar1300
354 Posts
If you have the stock muffler you maybe have trouble getting the lower side cover out of the way enough to get the lower adjustment out. plan on getting the muffler front gasket if your stock. I have cobras so i was able to remove the cover and just move it out of the way.( not able to take it off completely).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front part of the exhaust doesn't need to be removed. The Y section of the exhaust comes out as its own piece and once that's out the cover panel can be removed. All you need to remove is the muffler (the "slip-on") and the Y section. Pretty easy. Put this in the "would have been nice to know" section.

Any tips on how to get the gas tank lifted or removed? Just the two bolts at the rear of the tank then lift? The service manual is practically useless.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,593 Posts
Any tips on how to get the gas tank lifted or removed? Just the two bolts at the rear of the tank then lift? The service manual is practically useless.
Guess I'm missing why the service manual is useless, here's screenshot of tank removal. Steps are listed in order with diagram and torque specs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess I'm missing why the service manual is useless, here's screenshot of tank removal. Steps are listed in order with diagram and torque specs.
My fault, I didn't realize the diagram also shows the order the parts are removed (is this really true?). Still, I'd rather have a worded description of how to do things. A picture doesn't explain everything involved.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,593 Posts
My fault, I didn't realize the diagram also shows the order the parts are removed (is this really true?). Still, I'd rather have a worded description of how to do things. A picture doesn't explain everything involved.
I applaud you for wanting written directions. Now days most just want a picture. I'll agree that the service manual lacks at times for details, but remember they are actually written for a tech. The Haynes and Chilton manuals do go into greater detail for the DIYer but are limited when it testing procedures. Doesn't really help you, but should give the basic removal process.

·
Registered
2008 Vstar1300
354 Posts
The tank.. 2 bolts than disconnect the fuel level wire on the right side. Unclip it from the tank. Lift the tank and support it about a 2x4. Turn off the petcock for the fuel. I disconnected the black house at the sub tank but I pinch the hose off to stop the fuel flow. Yes u will spill some. Other hose I remove at the petcock. Lift it up to not spill fuel from it. . Than at the front left there are 2 vent hoses to disconnect. Once all are disconnected. Pull the tank towards the seat about 3-4 inches. Lift tank off .

That's it in a nut shell.

Reactions: flash and lesblank
1 - 7 of 7 Posts