Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although the clutch is adjusted properly the transmission seems to clash when putting the bike in 1st gear.
The bike seems to want to creep when in gear with the clutch leaver is pulled.
What could be the problem?

·
Registered
317 Posts
When you say clash, do you mean clunk? Also is it much worse when it is cold?

The bike will always want to move forward even with the clutch pulled, because the clutch is a wet clutch meaning oil is used to cool it. Oil will create enough drag to cause the bike to want to move forward.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clunk would be a word that would describe the sound. It seems harsh. The fact you can drive with the clutch leave pulled seems wrong. I am using Lucas oil which will coat the plates and might be why the bike wants to creep. I use Lucas in my 650 v-star and my 1100 Varigo although a lighter grade they don't creep.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Clunk would be a word that would describe the sound. It seems harsh. The fact you can drive with the clutch leave pulled seems wrong. I am using Lucas oil which will coat the plates and might be why the bike wants to creep. I use Lucas in my 650 v-star and my 1100 Varigo although a lighter grade they don't creep.

The bike shouldn't drive with the clutch pulled in, but there will be drag on it from the oil especially if it is cold.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
warm or cold no difference. I am wondering if one of the clutch plates has peeled off and is doubling up and causing extra friction. I have not had this clutch apart. the bike has 93,000 kilometers (55,000 miles) on it. What would clutch life normally be?

·
Registered
317 Posts
warm or cold no difference. I am wondering if one of the clutch plates has peeled off and is doubling up and causing extra friction. I have not had this clutch apart. the bike has 93,000 kilometers (55,000 miles) on it. What would clutch life normally be?
The clutch life directly depends on the operator, could be 100K miles or 2K miles. I would make sure the clutch cable is actually pulling the clutch, many clutch cables go bad and stretch and fail due to improper lubrication.

Also usually when the clutch goes bad, you get no engagement.

With all being said, all these bikes clunk when putting them into gear, that is because there is oil drag on the clutch plates and these transmissions do not use synchronizes. Also it is 100% normal for the bike to lurch forward when starting it with the clutch pulled. That is why the manual says to start it in neutral.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts