Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I just picked up a 2007 V star 1300 last week. After riding it around the neighborhood, I came home and checked the bike out. I noticed what the manual calls the "drain cock" has a slow coolant drip under the bike. Now, looking in the service manual, it looks like it hooks to oil/water pump assembly. However, when I look at the exploded view of the crankcase it doesn't look like there is a housing around it. What I'm getting at is, I ordered the o-rings to replace on it, but I'm not sure if I pull it out will it drain coolant or will it let coolant into the oil and make a big ole mess?

Anyone pulled this thing ever? I'm not taking it to the dealership. I don't trust anyone's hands on my toys.

-Expirobo

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a pic of the drain cock

This is where the coolant leak is. Notice the coolant residue. Any ideas what happens if I pop it off?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking at it more closely, it almost looks like it's 'supposed' to drip since there is a hole in it. Maybe it's a relief valve or something?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've had the same question...except mine seems to drip oil, I've never noticed any coolant coming from there.

By drip, I mean a drop or two every ~400 miles. It might be my imagination, seems to increase in severity right after an oil change and almost go away just prior to the next one. According to the site gauge I am not overfilling the oil (keeping it around 70% of the window covered).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a funny feeling that if I pull it off, coolant and oil will both come out. I'm going to keep digging on how this thing works.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Ill throw this out there, have no idea if i am right.
I think it is a drain for the water pump, so if the water pump seal leaks it will come out of that drain hole instead of leaking coolant into the oil. Which makes a lot of sense since the water pump is in the oil pan!

I understand its normal to be a little wet/damp.
I have no problems with mine, no drips. Many other can sound off on this as they have had issues.

The radiator has a drain cock on it to drain the coolant.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can anyone else state whether or not they have dripping, even if slightly, from the drain cock at all? I would like to know if it's 'normal' within reason or if I have a bad water pump. I have a droplet formed after every ride. But there's no way to know what's going on during riding. Maybe I can stick a rolled up paper towel in there and see how wet it is.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's supposed to snow tomorrow afternoon. I may sneak out early in the morning for a quick ride. I'm going to roll up a paper towel and stick it in there to gather what drips. If it's minimal, I'm not going to worry until I go for a long ride. The bike is new to me so I'm not as familiar with them. I've also never had a liquid cooled.

Just from the design of the drain cock and the way it looks in the service manual cutout, it's obvious that it was intentioned to allow for leakage. Generally, if somethings not designed to leak it won't have an escape route such as this. I think it is probably fine but I'm extremely in-tune with my vehicles and excessively worrisome on long cruises with new ones. I'll take it further and further while I keep checking the coolant levels.

I'm definitely going to flush the coolant as I do with any used vehicle I buy. Never know what 'really' happened before you bought it (unless you know the person). There may be excessive pressure build up due to a bad thermostat/radiator cap. This could be causing back pressure on the water pump. I'll replace both of these next weekend with the flush and report back.

Thanks and any more information is appreciated.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Gents,

I just picked up a 2007 V star 1300 last week. After riding it around the neighborhood, I came home and checked the bike out. I noticed what the manual calls the "drain cock" has a slow coolant drip under the bike. Now, looking in the service manual, it looks like it hooks to oil/water pump assembly. However, when I look at the exploded view of the crankcase it doesn't look like there is a housing around it. What I'm getting at is, I ordered the o-rings to replace on it, but I'm not sure if I pull it out will it drain coolant or will it let coolant into the oil and make a big ole mess?

Anyone pulled this thing ever? I'm not taking it to the dealership. I don't trust anyone's hands on my toys.

-Expirobo
the two bolts are the mounting bolts that hold that drain tube in place. It is a tube, looks like maybe 3 inches long, that runs up through the crankcase into the Shared Water/Oil pump. There are two rubber seals on the end of the drain tube. If the seals went bad you would have antifreeze in your oil. If you wanted to replace the rubber O ring seals, Step one pull your engine, step two drain the oil, step three split you engine. step four remove the drain tube and replace the seals and then reassemble engine and re-mount in the bike. If it weeps a bit I think that might be normal, or indicate the pump has to much fluid in it, hence it weeps some out. Not a problem until there is antifreeze in the oil...
Clymer maual shows a good picture of that tube and how it's replaced/installed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
the two bolts are the mounting bolts that hold that drain tube in place. It is a tube, looks like maybe 3 inches long, that runs up through the crankcase into the Shared Water/Oil pump. There are two rubber seals on the end of the drain tube. If the seals went bad you would have antifreeze in your oil. If you wanted to replace the rubber O ring seals, Step one pull your engine, step two drain the oil, step three split you engine. step four remove the drain tube and replace the seals and then reassemble engine and re-mount in the bike. If it weeps a bit I think that might be normal, or indicate the pump has to much fluid in it, hence it weeps some out. Not a problem until there is antifreeze in the oil...
Clymer maual shows a good picture of that tube and how it's replaced/installed.
Is this from personal experience or from looking in the manual? To me, the tube and baseplate look to be one piece and tapered so it seems removable from under the bike. Otherwise, I see no need for two bolts if the case must be split to remove it; Yamaha could have just made it wedge in there when torquing the case back together or integrated it directly into the case.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Is this from personal experience or from looking in the manual? To me, the tube and baseplate look to be one piece and tapered so it seems removable from under the bike. Otherwise, I see no need for two bolts if the case must be split to remove it; Yamaha could have just made it wedge in there when torquing the case back together or integrated it directly into the case.
the bottom where the two bolts are is the base of the tube.The tube runs up from the base into the pump. (One Piece)
Looking at the manual, looks like you could remove it. then it looks like some oil will drain and so will some water. I suppose you could drain the oil and the water and pump and pull it out. without taking out or splitting the engine. Then I suppose you could put the tube back in the same way. You would have to steer it up into the pump without a visual. I suppose you could, nothing is impossible. I personally would ask a Yamaha mechanic before I attempted to remove/replace. good luck with it though.

You say your bike is an 07. Mine is a 09 and it hasn't leaked from there yet. Now I am wondering if it will in a few more years. :confused:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I took the bike out for about 15 miles this morning before the wind and rain picked up. Aside from now having put a total of 25 miles on the bike since I bought it, I noticed there was no drip this morning. I think it's an intermittent drip. I did pull the tank and go through the top end yesterday. I pulled the radiator cap and cleaned some of the light scale off and rinsed it well. The coolant looks alright but definitely needs a good flush since it's probably the original coolant from 2007.

You say your bike is an 07. Mine is a 09 and it hasn't leaked from there yet. Now I am wondering if it will in a few more years. :confused:
My bike only has 9k miles on it. I can't imagine the waterpump starting to go other than from sitting. If you take good care of your bike it may never drip. You may check up in there with a mirror like I did. It may be dripping without showing external signs. With the mirror, I could see some light coolant residue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Okay, I'm resurrecting a very old thread. Noticed some dripping coming from the drain cock after a ride. I've looked for answers as to what is normal and in tolerance when it comes to dripping and why, when, where and how this thing drips, but can't get a straight answer from any resource online so far.

Can someone please provide information regarding this drain cock or "weep" as some resources call it.
What is normal and within operational tolerance.
Is dripping a sign of something wrong, water pump, internal leak, etc.,
My bike is an '07 with 14,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,428 Posts
Have you investigated where the leak is? Could be a simple hose connection.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Personal experience.. I had to order the o rings from the dealer . drain coolant and oil before removing the tube or you will get a big surprise and have a longer issue. Make sure to lube the orings before install .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts