Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey stars , I'm looking at a
1300 on Fri. I'm not familiar with fuel injection and would like to drain old fuel before cranking. Is there a fuel line I can disconnect like the 650 or should I try to siphon from the tank ? Any input is appreciated ✌

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
To the best of my knowledge on my old Honda there is no quick disconnect on fuel injection. There is no petcock either. There is no good way to do it. Somebody correct me if i am wrong. When i stored it for the winter i would add seafoam to a full tank and run it for about 10 miles to work it into the injection. Why do you want to do that has it been sitting with old gas?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
If the gas was treated it should be ok. If it were mine i would add some seafoam and fill the tank. If you could disconnect the hose and drain that would be the best to get the old gas out. I am not sure if the pump is inline or in the tank. Hopefully someone with the 1300 chimes in.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
if you dont know whether the fuel was stabilized before storage then:

its a few minutes to pull the hose and drain it, or take the tank off and dump it out

vs hours of time and hundreds of dollars if some goop gets sucked into the fuel pump and injectors

Sea foam will not restore gas that has broken down - it will dissolve the goop and varnish, but it will still be in the tank

its best to keep anything other than good gas from going thru the pump and injectors and the fuel filter if you can.

should add, if the owner has already started the bike up with the old gas, you get diminishing returns on what you do now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
take the tank off and dump it out
^ This.

If it's been sitting for a year I wouldn't start it without emptying the tank either.

You also said there was only a little fuel in the tank. There is a decent chance that the inside of the tank has some rust now. I would pull the tank, clean it and have it lined (many rad shops offer the service). Then run it with fresh fuel and Seafoam to clean the rest of the fuel system.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update. I bought and picked up this bike on Friday. Good vibes from the seller, so decided to bring it home without cranking it (battery stone dead anyway). So , no manual can be found for it ( but a receipt for a Clymer) so I go about familiarizing myself with this beauty, changing oil(clean), cleaning, inspecting,ect.
I fogged the cylinders,added Seafoam to existing fuel ,sloshed it around and siphoned it out the next day. It smelled and looked as clean as the oil did ! Refill with fresh fuel,
injector cleaner and Seafoam. Being too impatient to wait for lithium battery to be delivered,I install battery from 650.
It's GO TIME! Turn key and touch starter , she starts instantly and runs sweet.
BEAUTIFUL ,so excited!
Thanks for your replies.

Does anyone know what the plug behind the right neck cover is for ?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,474 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts