Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
993 Posts
My question was whether or not you guys remove or loosen the reservoir cover before pushing in the pistons, i get everything but an answer too what I asked.

In the past i've always pushed in on the caliper which partially pushed in the pistons, they i took a scraper with a long thin blade on it and used it to protect the Disc and got in between that and the old brake pad with a large screw driver to pry the pistons all the way in. Sounds like a lot of steps, but its easy.

I wanted to improve my process though, so i thought removing or loosening the cover would relieve any pressure and the pistons would easily go in, rather that have to pry. I have always been hesitant to ty it for fear of a making a mess. Hence my question.
I do not loosen the resrv. cover unless I am draining the old fluid and replacing with new.
I push the piston in by hand as well, then finish with a c-clamp (old pad to protect the piston).

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
993 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Do you take the reservoir cover off or loosen it when you push the pistons in? What is the advantage of having the tool?
I do not take the cover off.

The tool fits inside the piston. When you squeeze the handle, two rounded 'shoes' press the inside of the piston, then you can turn the piston in order to get all of the surface clean and greased. They can also be used to pull the piston out as well.

Pliers Snips Diagonal pliers Tool Nipper

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Are you seeing what i'm seeing in my front brake pads? looks like i have plenty of pad left. Also do not see any inboard spacer.

Here are two zoomed in phone pics from today.

Right side
Automotive tire Font Rectangle Gas Bumper

Left Side
Automotive tire Asphalt Thigh Gas Automotive wheel system

21 - 25 of 25 Posts