Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read several articles on valve noise but didn't find one that gave me the insight I was looking for... I'm hoping you guys can help. I have an 08 I recently picked up with 12,000 miles on it. I know they are known for having some valve noise, but I changed to a synthetic 20/50 motorcycle oil and the noise got noticeably louder when the engine warms up... much more than previously. I am not sure what oil was in it before.

Anyone have this experience? Any suggestions on oil brand/ type?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've read several articles on valve noise but didn't find one that gave me the insight I was looking for... I'm hoping you guys can help. I have an 08 I recently picked up with 12,000 miles on it. I know they are known for having some valve noise, but I changed to a synthetic 20/50 motorcycle oil and the noise got noticeably louder when the engine warms up... much more than previously. I am not sure what oil was in it before.

The V star 950 1300 and Stryker engines use overhead cams that have rollers on the rocker arms. This virtually eliminates Valve wear at the cost of noise. The rollers ride on the camshaft and are pretty noisy which is normal for these valve trains.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Baron58. I know they have some inherent noise. I didn't expect it to get noticeable worse after changing the oil to synthetic. I'm thinking I should swap it again and put Yamalube in. I don't know what the original owner ran in it.

Any certain oils that are known to quiet it down some?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,474 Posts
Older oil gets contaminated with carbon and other combustion residue which changes it's properties some. How discolored (black) was the oil. You might just be hearing the difference between old and new oil. Is your ambient temperature much higher than before you changed your oil. Higher ambient temperature will case the engine to run slightly hotter. Another thought, is you oil level correct?

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
something to consider, did you have the windshield off the bike and you put it on?

were you riding around with/without helmet?

the windshield is a perfect acoustic reflector from the engine right to your helmet - the engine always sounds louder with it on the bike

I cant see the oil making the tappets/lifters louder or quieter, unless... well... no 20W40 is 20W40, synthetic or not

ride the bike for a while with your nice new oil. Unless it sounds like someone is banging on your engine with a hammer, its probably normal

every spring when I take my 650 out for the first ride after 3 months in the garage, I always think something is wrong, it wasnt this loud when I put it away

yes... it was... I just need a few days to get use to it again.

motorcycle engines are loud, esp on the interstate at 80mph - earplugs are a real thing for motorcycles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It still has the windshield and I wear a helmet at all times while riding. The sound is more noticeable at lower speeds and idle. I definitely hear a difference from one day to the next with only the oil and filter being different.... now having said that, I may be paranoid since it's a used bike and could be reading way too much into it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Where are you in CT? Maybe we could meet for a ride.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
one thing no one has mentioned: I dont know if the VS1300 engine has adjustable tappets, or self adjusting lifters. The 1600/1700 engines have lifters, but they have two valves on one lifter, so every 16000 miles those two valves need to be adjusted relative to each other, because the lifter will put one at 0 clearance (whichever is tighter) and the other will have a gap of a few thousandths...

If you have the service records and the owners manual (available free online as a PDF file) look up how often the valve clearance needs to be adjusted (if ever) and if it has been done as required (service records).

Edited to add: having your valve clearance a little bit loose is not a terrible thing, it wont damage the valves until it gets very loose. Having the valve clearance tight will cause valve damage, because the valves will not close all the way, and hot gasses will blow between the valve and head seat, causing damage to both.

So if you can hear your tappets (tappets gonna tap...) its better than if you cant hear them at all - that would be really bad, the indication they were not properly adjusted (maybe adjusted when the engine was not over-night-stone-cold).

·
Registered
245 Posts

I tried a motul 20w50 synthetic and i noticed increased noise in the valve train.I didn't wait too long.. 1200 km and I switched back to Rotella T4 15w40 and it was much better than the 20w50.

The 1300 had adjustable tappets .. i just did mine and the rear cyl intake valves were loose . but this was long ago i did the 20w50 oil change issue !!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought it was odd that it would change with synthetic oil. I'm going to swap it out and put yamalube in it I think just to try. I've read a lot about Rotella... does it really work well? What about the difference in viscosity?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I bought a new leftover '14 1300 Tourer in April 2017. My previous bike was a VTX 1300.
On the X, when the valves were adjusted correctly, it sounded like a sewing machine.

Had my Tourer for 3 days & brought it back to the Dealer. I sounded like the motor was falling apart.
I was told it was the roller rockers. Now, with Just over 17K, runs like a champ.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
... I sounded like the motor was falling apart......
whether you meant to say that or its a typo, I can picture you at the dealer, sounding like the motor was falling apart!

"did they forget to torque the connecting rods?! is the crankcase full of steel marbles?! I cant ride this thing..."

:^O

LOL

·
Registered
202 Posts
I bought a new leftover '14 1300 Tourer in April 2017. My previous bike was a VTX 1300.
On the X, when the valves were adjusted correctly, it sounded like a sewing machine.

Had my Tourer for 3 days & brought it back to the Dealer. I sounded like the motor was falling apart.
I was told it was the roller rockers. Now, with Just over 17K, runs like a champ.
whether you meant to say that or its a typo, I can picture you at the dealer, sounding like the motor was falling apart!

"did they forget to torque the connecting rods?! is the crankcase full of steel marbles?! I cant ride this thing..."

:^O

LOL
I left out the T.

I wondered if there was a problem, being the bike sat for 3 years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Picked up some Yamalube 20w50 yesterday I'm gonna try to swap it out this evening time permitting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Swapped the oil out and went for a ride...I still don't understand why, but it quieted the valve noise down.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,474 Posts
Swapped the oil out and went for a ride...I still don't understand why, but it quieted the valve noise down.
That's interesting. All 20w-50 oil is suppose to be the same viscosity. Guess the slickness of the synthetic made a difference in your bike. Did it quiet down enough to make you comfortable with the valve train noise?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have an 08 1300 Tourer and always use 10w 40 full synthetic. Tried Quicksilver on my last oil change and to be honest with you it runs alot smoother and quieter. I ride in temps anywhere from usually 40° to 95° f. My bike runs great!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts