Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my saddlebags from my 2009 after it caught fire on the right side. Melted and made a mess. Otherwise bike is fine. However most of the saddlebags out there use their own mount system which would require the removal of the current mounting system which also includes the passenger footpegs. Are there aftermarket footpags or rests to replace the passenger sides or is their better options? The replacement cost from Yamaha is over a 1000 and I figure I can do better than OEM. Anybody else using aftermarket mounted bags? Thanks!

Bill

·
Registered
196 Posts
How did it catch fire. Inform us so we can all be aware of what we shouldn't do.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I wish I knew. It was fine the day before on a 50 mile test. Then the next day was only out around 10 or so miles and came home and noticed the fire. I believe either something popped off the bottom of the bags or I have been running a gas additive to clear out the old watered gas and maybe too much in the tank. I had a Goldwing rider look and the slipon he said looked like it got too hot. Like maybe cherry red due to air/fuel mixture and some of it burning up in the muffler. I have since been running the tank down and refilled with regular gas and no additives. Bike runs great otherwise. Will run for a few more days with the new gas running thru it then disconnect the battery to reset the ECU. See Picture Below. Not sure how to add the actual picture here.

Bill

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=5098&pictureid=15738

1 - 7 of 7 Posts