Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would only adding a BAK have the same gains as only adding an exhaust?
I typically only add exhaust (slip-ons) to my bikes and it seems to wake them up.
I've never done a BAK, much less only a BAK.
Can't find a black exhaust at a reasonable price and Cobra isn't making a black slip-on.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,359 Posts
Visit Ivan's Performance for your answer. Several members here have an Ivan Tune and are very happy with it.

Ivan's Performance Products

A few screenshots :

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't know how much it would cost, but I'm pretty sure you can have the xhaust Powder Coated.

If you install a BAK or any open intake, You'll need free flowing xhaust - more air in-more air out.
And probably a fuel tuner.

Right now I'm running a Cobra Power-Flo with a Cobra 2 into 1 slipon.

I'm hoping that next month I can send the ECU to Ivan.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Looking at his data, going with just a BAK would really benefit this bike.
Not going to worry about an exhaust after seeing the dyno results.
Keeping this one quiet would be nice, I'll be able to enjoy the music.
I'll save up for for the Ivan tune.

Now I'm going to need a BAK and Ivan tune for the Stryker also.
It already has the Cobra slip-on on it, this is my loud bike.

Never realized how much I was leaving on the table without getting a BAK.

Visit Ivan's Performance for your answer. Several members here have an Ivan Tune and are very happy with it.

Ivan's Performance Products

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you're running intake and exhaust without any tuning?
Wouldn't that make the bike run too lean?

I don't know how much it would cost, but I'm pretty sure you can have the xhaust Powder Coated.

If you install a BAK or any open intake, You'll need free flowing xhaust - more air in-more air out.
And probably a fuel tuner.

Right now I'm running a Cobra Power-Flo with a Cobra 2 into 1 slipon.

I'm hoping that next month I can send the ECU to Ivan.

·
Registered
200 Posts
So you're running intake and exhaust without any tuning?
Wouldn't that make the bike run too lean?
My bad. I should have mentioned I have a Cobra fuel tuner.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
At the risk of sounding inferior i know with an air cooled bike if you alter exhaust you can run lean. Does a fuel tuner work on carb as well as injected bike? I know mine was rejetted for the pipes before i bought it. Running lean and hot is that what discolors chrome pipes?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your bike is carburated it needs to be rejetted & pms adjusted.

At the risk of sounding inferior i know with an air cooled bike if you alter exhaust you can run lean. Does a fuel tuner work on carb as well as injected bike? I know mine was rejetted for the pipes before i bought it. Running lean and hot is that what discolors chrome pipes?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If your bike is carburated it needs to be rejetted & pms adjusted.
Thanks that is what i thought just making sure i am thinking correctly. Most of my bikes in my previous life were liquid cooled. Before i bought my classic i assumed that yamahas were liquid cooled. When he told me it was rejetted and tuned i looked and didn't see a radiator and a light bulb went on.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
^ ditto what Oddjob posted

there are only a few fuel injected motorcycles (harley and BMW) that have a long term O2 sensor feedback function that slowly tweaks the fuel to air ratio, so the engine is always running at the optimum mix. On those bikes if you change the exhaust or open up the inlet filter plumbing, it will re-adjust itself (up to a point).

on all the other fuel injected bikes (including Vstar) the fuel to air ratio is fixed (mapped) at the factory for the stock motorcycle. If you change the intake or exhaust on those fuel injected bikes, then you either need to fool the ECM to change the mixture (more gas) or remap the code in the ECM (Ivans tuning...) to increase the amount of gas the injectors squirt into the cylinders (hold them open longer)

its the same effect as putting bigger jets in a carb and opening up the PM screws - with carbs its a mechanical change, with fuel injection its mostly software in the ECM.

BTW: if exhaust is heat tempering the pipes (rainbows) right at the head connection, the bike is running lean and putting out very hot exhaust gasses

if the exhaust is turning rainbows all the way back at the mufflers, its running rich, putting out more gas in the exhaust than the cat can handle, and the fuel in the exhaust is burning in the muffler, causing it to heat up (like a chimney fire with a wood burning stove).

the best indication of the fuel air mixture is the color and condition of the spark plugs after new plugs have a few hundred miles on them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts