Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading on the

http://viragotechforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=103935

site about changing the gearing on this bike to improve gas mileage.
I'd like to play with this myself.

I just ordered a V Star 250 2009 model and it should be at the dealers by late August or early September per the dealer.

I ordered this bike after an intensive study of all the 250's and
having set on them. In fact, I trained on the V Star 250 at
the motorcycle course I used to get my license upgrade.

So, if I change the gearing out as these guy's are playing with,
don't you end up messing up your speedometer also?

I'm trying to get a login to this forum as we speak as I'd like to talk to them as they have done it. But, I'd be open to any advice posted here concerning this issue.

I think I will look for a spitfire windshield as well.

And I need some storage also. What should I do.
Should I get a throw over pair of saddle bags? Should I get
a trunk bag which doubles as a back rest? Do we play with fork bags? How about tank bags?

I'd kind of like to have a back rest.

Also, there's this cruise control thing you can by for the V star
which will lock/ hold the accelerator grip. I'm debating buying one of those too.

How about an upgrade to the seat. Anybody done that yet?
Any advice.

And I'm happy to be joining the other 2 wheelers on the road.
Always wanted to.

I drive a truck for a living now OTR, but I'd been a Lawson Certified Computer Programmer before my job got sent overseas.
Yet, I may have found a good day job at home and this bike is crucial in making it on my new greatly reduced salary if I get it.
At least I can stay home after being on the road for 5 years now.

So guy's, give me some help here. Need an elmer of V Star 250.

Charlie

·
Registered
57 Posts
Re-gearing the 250 V Star

HI,

I just bought my 08 250 V Star this summer brand new, and I already have 3,800miles on it.

I used to own the Virago 700 back in the 80s, but I really like the nimble handling of the smaller 250.

Like you, I am also looking to install taller gears on my 250, since some of my riding takes me on 55mph state roads, I cant help but feeling like there is supposed to be another gear after I hit 5th gear.

After talking to the dealer were i purchased the bike they couldn't find any info online, but the dealer stated that his Service dept manager says that I could jump up 1 tooth in the front and drop two in the rear. Mostly To cut costs down and keep my stock chain.
stock it's a 16 / 45. front and rear sprocket.

Online, I have heard of others changing it to a 17/43 just like my local dealer suggested. but i cant find any reviews of how that mod has changed the top end or the Low end.
I dont ever haul a passenger, there seems to be plenty of Torque but i dont know how this gear change will effect the overall dependability of the Clutch or engine components.

This seems to be a little excessive all I wanted to do is change the front counter.

If anyone out there has done this Mod I would love to hear from them.

Dennis Miller
[email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
V Star 250 Sprocket Upgrade

I own a 2008, Yamaha V Star 250 that I upgraded with a tachometer and a wind-deflector. I went ahead and changed my front and rear sprockets from 16/45 to 17/38. The change is hard to believe. There is no clutch slippage in 1st gear and great acceleration in all gears including 1st. I had it at 75 mph at 5,900 rpm in 5th gear. If I had done this with the stock sprockets the rpm's calculated would have been 7,500 rpm. I am 5 ft 10. inches and weigh 200 lbs, yet this bike has a lot of torque and acceleration even with the 17/38 change, and best of all riding on the interstate is now very possible. I have just over 500 miles on the bike now, and still in the break in 1000 mile period. So I did not try to max out the speed, but it has a lot of punch and throttle left after 75 mph. I list below the actual road data and theoretical calculations for the benefit of others. I plotted up the data and included it as a jpg attachment.

Road Data 16/45 in 5th gear
-------------------------------
RPM MPH
---------------
2,500 25
3,100 30
3,600 35
4,475 45
5,400 55

Road Data 17/38 in 5th gear
-------------------------------
RPM MPH
----------------
3,100 40
3,500 45
3,900 50
4,300 55
4,700 60
5,100 65
5,500 70
5,900 75

PHP:
Theoretical Data - RPM vs MPH in 5th gear
----------------------------------------------
RPM    16/45   17/45   17/44   17/43   17/42   17/41   17/40   17/39    17/38
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2,400    24      25      26      27      27      28      29      29       30
3,200    32      34      35      35      36      37      38      39       40
4,000    40      42      43      44      45      46      48      49       50
4,800    48      51      52      53      54      56      57      59       60
5,600    56      59      61      62      64      65      67      68       70
6,400    64      68      69      71      73      74      76      78       80
7,200    72      76      78      80      82      84      86      88       90
8,000    80      85      87      89      91      93      95      98      100

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well I just picked up the new 17/ 43 sprocket set today, along with the $80 service manual for the bike.

I don't plan on doing any riding until late spring or at least until the salt has been washed away by the rain, so for the next couple of months, I will be doing the sprocket change, adjusting the valves, and doing the rest of the manufacturers service as per the maintenance schedule.

I'm looking forward to comparing my actual road data to your theoretical RPM to MPH chart. I also have the Sport Windscreen installed.

NH is trying to pass Bill# 95, which would not allow after market exhaust systems and will require that all Motorcycles have a tachometer, which the little V star 250 does not come with as standard equipment.

I am curious as to how much your tachometer cost you, at the dealer, the average price was, as expected, way too high, around $200 for a handle bar mounted system.

One thing for sure, I don't plan on spending $185 per hr, for the dealers service charge on this bike, I have all the tools necessary from servicing all the other bikes that I have had over the years, So as usual I'll be doing all of my service work and repairs myself.

Dennis

·
Registered
57 Posts
Update on Sprocket Change

Hi folks, I just completed changing the sprockets to a 17 f/ 43R, the Bike has only 3,900 miles on it to date, and with the stock sprockets, my axle was pretty much centered so that I still had plenty of travel for chain wear and stretching.

Now that I increased the front to a 17 and I down sized the rear by two teeth, I find that there isn't much room left for adjusting the chain slack, there is enough adjustment left to last for a while, but I may just have to install a master link and remove a link, or I just might install a new stock 520 110 link chain and see where that leaves me for room.

The current chain is still in good condition, and the old sprockets were also still showing no signs of wear, so I don't think that a new chain is going to make much of a difference.

Even though they say that you should replace your chain whenever you change your sprockets, with only 3,900 miles on the bike it's still in good shape.

What would you do? install a master and remove a link, or just by a new chain and have to later install the master link anyway?

Dennis

·
Registered
57 Posts
Update for sprocket gearing change on The 250

HI folks,

I just wanted to update everyone since i finaly got to test ride my 250 after changing the gearing with new sprockets.

My road data is no where near the data that was posted by another member. I'm not sure why its different.

I went from a 16F/45R to a 17F/43R
I used to be able to hit 5th gear at around 30 mph but with the new sprockets I can't get into 5th until 45mph, its quite the improvement!

I can cruise at 55 and im nowhere near half throttle I went as fast as 85mph, and I still had some throttle left, so I am quite happy that I decided to make this change.

Dennis

·
Registered
57 Posts
Update to Taller Gearing For the 250

HI folks,

I just wanted to update everyone since i finaly got to test ride my 250 after changing the gearing with new sprockets.

My road data is no where near the data that was posted by another member. I'm not sure why its different.

I went from a 16F/45R to a 17F/43R
I used to be able to hit 5th gear at around 30 mph but with the new sprockets I can't get into 5th until 45mph, its quite the improvement!

I can cruise at 55 and im nowhere near half throttle I went as fast as 85mph, and I still had some throttle left, so I am quite happy that I decided to make this change.

Dennis
Edit update:

Well I changed the reae sprocket again, and I bought a new chain.
I now have a 17F/41R,

45 Mph is now the comfortable minimum speed or, the shift point, for 5th gear, at 55 and 60 mph, I don't hear my engine revving no where near as high as it was when it was stock.
I'm actually confortable with this upgrade, at 55 mph I am barely on the throttle, Now for around town speeds at 35 I'm in 4th gear and just barely above idle speed.

It actually feels like a completely different bike, Why Yamaha decided to keep the stock gearing so low, is now a mystery to me.

Dennis

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really like the V Star 250, but I don't know if it will like me. I am 5'8" and I weigh about 280lbs. Should I look at a bigger motorcycle? I like the looks of the V Star 250, the mpg, the sound, and the fact that it is air cooled. This would be my first motorcycle. I'd really like to get the 250 and bob it out, but I need opinions on whether the motorcycle would be able to hit 70 mph (just in case) with me on it (stock or changing the gears). Thank you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I really like the V Star 250, but I don't know if it will like me. I am 5'8" and I weigh about 280lbs. Should I look at a bigger motorcycle? I like the looks of the V Star 250, the mpg, the sound, and the fact that it is air cooled. This would be my first motorcycle. I'd really like to get the 250 and bob it out, but I need opinions on whether the motorcycle would be able to hit 70 mph (just in case) with me on it (stock or changing the gears). Thank you.
HI,

After owning and modifying my 08 250, I think that you would be better off with a bigger bike, especially if you plan on 70mph very often.
Given your height and weight, a sprocket upgrade would not do you any good.

I weigh 180lbs and I'm only 5'ft -6" the top speed on my 250 without the gearing mod was 83 Mph, after the mod up hill at 180 lbs, downshifiting was required and I could not take on a passenger.

The Mod I made did well for my weight, and was ment to manage a steady 55mph at lower Rpms to promote a longer engine life.

Dennis

·
Registered
1 Posts
This definitely sounds like a worthwhile upgrade.

Any advice on where to find a 17/43 set of sprockets? Does Yamaha make them, or does one have to go aftermarket?

Thanks,
Xander

·
Registered
3 Posts
so what to do with the chain?

Hey guys, I've been reading all about changing my sprockets to 17f 43r and want to do it as my 2008 v star(4000 miles) also feels like its missing a gear. I have two questions.

If i change to the above ration can I keep my factory chain? if not , what do I need to do?

How do I change out the sprockets and where can I purchase them?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Were to get the sprockets

I have a 09 Vstar 250 and want to change the sprockets but can find were to get them can someone help me?:(:confused:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry Guys its taken me a while to get back to this post.

IF you change the sprockets to a 17f 43R you will need cut and install a master link, Your better off with using a non O ring type 120 link #520 DID chain, this will make a master link install much easier. IF you want an expesnive O ring type change this will make installing a master link more difficult.

You will also need a chain cutter and know how to use one properly.
You can loosen your rear axle slide the rear wheel forward and then mount your chain on both sprockets to determine where to cut in the master link. just make sure that you face the clip in the right direction when installing the master link.

There are instructions online that will show you how to use a chain cutter if you need them.

As far as purchasing the sprockets, I bought my sprockets thru JT sprockets, it came out of a catalog at the Yamaha dealer and I ordered them at the dealer.
They also carry a chain cutter and the #520 DID master link.

edit: by the way, I traded my 08 Vstar 250 a couple of months ago for a brand new 09 V Star 950, much better for my highway use.
Dennis

·
Registered
57 Posts
changing gearing

I just ordered a 17f/41r sprockets and a 520 114 O iring chain. Do you thin k this will be good:confused:
I wish I still had the bike, I'm not sure if a 114 link chain is the right length since I never counted the actual number of links I ended up with.

I bought a 120 link chain, just to make sure that I had a enough chain to begin with. You may want to return it for a longer one just in case.

Let me clearly state that the installation of an O-ring type master link can be tricky, you may want someone with experience to cut and install the o ring master link, this type of link needs a special tool to peen over the pins on the master link.

I didn't see the need for an expensive O ring type chain since there isn't IMHO enough stress produced by the engine to warrant one, they normally use O ring type chains on larger displacement bikes, but they do last longer.

Dennis

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just changed my sprockets to 17/38 on my 09 v star 250.. and I'm getting nothing like you guys say. My acceleration is greatly improved and shifts smooth and much more natural.. but i lose acceleration in 4th/5th gears and top out at a lousy 65mph! Did I miss something you guys didn't mention?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I think you may have been a little over zealous. 16/45 2.81 gear ratio, you went to a 17/38 2.23 gear ratio you may not have enough power to pull that ratio. Thats a 21 percent change. I would have gone with a 17/42 or 41. You said your acceleration is greatly improved. Does it pick up speed quicker or go faster in each gear? Acceleration is quickness in a gear not top speed in that gear. It sounds like you are just running out of horsepower, too much wind resistance for the gearing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It feels as if im going from 0-60 in less time than with the stock sprockets but I didn't exactly time it so it may just be im not used to the smoothness. But yes thats what I'm thinking is upping my back sprocket a few teeth. It was still awesome to feel how smoothly it accelerated, makes me wonder what they were thinking with the stock build cause it always just felt strange.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Yeah sometimes if the gearing is too short, its just shift,shift,shift all the time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts