Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First of all, I just got this '08 V-Star 250 last weekend. I bought the bike for my wife to learn how to ride.

The unexpected bonus is that this cycle is an ABSOLUTE BLAST for me! I've got an R6 (and love it), but this little bike's a different kind of fun. I totally dig it. I love just putting around town at 30 mph. It carries a passenger with ease, and it hauled my 175 pounds up to 75 mph on the highway with no trouble. OK, it took full throttle, but it did it!

Hey, is anyone else bothered by the relatively low position of the shifter in relation to the foot peg? It's really hard to get a toe under there, especially in 1st and 2nd gear. A few of the reviews I've read complained about the same thing, but they didn't indicate if there was any easy way to fix it. My wife's having trouble with it, too, even though she's only 5'5''. A large shoe size will not have an easy time with this shift setup.

The dealer cautioned me about this issue at delivery and showed me how to adjust the linkage. I did adjust it, and it helped a little, but the rod needs to be just a bit longer. I wonder if the thread size is standard (for Star/Yamaha cruisers) and/or if maybe a longer rod from a different model might work......:confused:

Has anyone found a solution for this? I don't mind buying a different shift lever or linkage rod, I just want to end up with something that's a little easier to shift.

Still, even with this little issue, we have absolutely no regrets. We were considering a Honda Rebel 250, but we're glad we found this one instead. It's a lot more bike for just a little more money, and it's well worth it.

Ideas, anyone? :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yamaha Star 250 awkward gear-shift pedal

I've been interested in buying a Yamaha Star 250. I also had the same problem, in the Yamaha shop, of getting my foot under the gear-shift lever. I was interested in reading your posting on the forum, although i see it is now almost 2 years ago! Did you finally come up with a solution? Were you able to extend or modify the gear-shift pedal so that your foot would comfortably go under it?

Thank you very much.

Al Eidenberg, [email protected]

·
Registered
60 Posts
I hate to practice thread necromancy, but I am having this issue as well. I know that you are supposed to remove the little thingy for the shifter and reposition it (sorry, don't know the name LOL), but for the life of me, I can't reach the bolt. It seems the sidestand assembly is in the way.

Is there something I just am not thinking through or do I really need to remove the stand?

·
Registered
570 Posts
i am 6'2 and had a vstar 250 during my MSF course......needless to say it was really hard fitting on that thing haha...

anyways, what my instructor taught me, who is also a big guy, just angle your foot outwards..just move your foot under it when you need to shift and then move it back out when your done. IDK, just an idea to try, worked alright for me.

Im no expert but after messing with my shifter on my 1100 i would think you would need a longer rod.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That's crazy! I wish mine were that easy to get to. It's tucked behind the kick stand. I'll take a pic when I get home. Why do things have to be so difficult, LOL!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I ride an 08' V-star 650 custom. The main reason I am asking this is because I keep missing the upshift between 1st and 2nd, ending up in neutral and I am thinking that if the shifter is lower, I would be able to hit it better. Right now I am basically kicking the pedal up firmly to make sure it shifts and I don't think that's a good idea. All other shifts are just a gentle tap. Then again, this is my first motorcycle so maybe I am just ignorant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.