Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 650 Classic. It is the only bike that I have driven at highway speeds of 75 mph. I love the Bike , but have been thinking about the 950. For those of you that have ridden both the 650 and 950, are there significant changes between the two that would justify my upgrading to the 950 ( vibration, stability etc.)

:

·
Registered
43 Posts
The 950, with its FI and belt drive is much more powerful and smoother than the 650 , in highway riding. More power, lower RPMs, and a longer wheelbase make the 950 more enjoyable on longer rides. It is also heavier, but not noticably so, unless you have strong crosswinds. I had ridden my 650 to Waco Tx. And back from Dallas, Tx.about a year ago. While it was doable, the stock seat just wasn't all that comfortable. Just last month, I rode my 950T through Waco, all the way past Austin, and was much more comfortable with the stock seat. Mileage on both bikes was comparible, but the 950 gets the nod for the greater horsepower. HTH!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
650/950

A buddy of mine traded his 650 for a 950. He was very happy. He felt that the heaver bike was easer to ride. Smoother and more power made it more at home on the highway. Balance is lower. Weight is evenly distributed.

Of course it costs more and is a newer design, so it should be.

Dave

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have never ridden a 650 v star. I had a 650 maxim, but not the same thing.
But I do own a v star 950T now and it's everything I could ask out of a bike, way better than the HD sportster I had.
My wife and I rode the 950 to Cleveland, Ohio, from Buffalo, NY and back this past summer and it was no problem crusing two up at 80mph on the interstate, about a 4 hour trip each way. Very comfortable and very easy going.
I definitely recomend it. And get the tourer, it's worth the extra few bucks for the winshield, bags and backrest.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I ride a 950, my wife rides a 650. There is a big difference in how they ride. On the 650, you feel the torque from the shaft when you go around corners like in my subdivision. Not so noticeable on the highway. The suspension is a lot softer on the 650. The 950 feels like a more solid bike. It feels like her 650 is a lot smaller bike even though it not all that much smaller than the 950. She wants a bigger bike now.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I went through the same dilemma last year and upgraded from a 650 to the 950. The difference was phenomenal, Usually I cruised around the back roads at 50 to 55 (lots of curves) and felt like I was flying and would avoid the highway at every opportunity, although it would do highway speeds without a problem. When I changed to the 950 and started home I was cruising through the same curves thinking it was around 55 and looked down to see the speedometer was at 70 and I wasn't even scraping the floorboards yet. I still miss the 650 every so often but wouldn't give up the 950 for it for any reason.

·
Administrator
13,277 Posts
everyone is pretty much agreed on the advantages of the 950 over the 650. just to balance it out a little, i'll give you one disadvantage. almost NOBODY makes aftermarket parts for the 950. so if you want to customize yours, you will be limited.

when i picked up my '09 950 i knew it would take time for companies to come out with parts that were specific to or at least matched the 950, but the bike has been out for 2 years now and i haven't seen much improvement. i've managed to upgrade the hell out of mine and pretty much the way that i want it to look up till this point, but i've had to do tons of research to be able to do so, to find the part that i want or find an alternative.

·
Registered
778 Posts
everyone is pretty much agreed on the advantages of the 950 over the 650. just to balance it out a little, i'll give you one disadvantage. almost NOBODY makes aftermarket parts for the 950. so if you want to customize yours, you will be limited.

when i picked up my '09 950 i knew it would take time for companies to come out with parts that were specific to or at least matched the 950, but the bike has been out for 2 years now and i haven't seen much improvement. i've managed to upgrade the hell out of mine and pretty much the way that i want it to look up till this point, but i've had to do tons of research to be able to do so, to find the part that i want or find an alternative.
I will agree, my saddlebags, sissybar, forward controls, and all the other add on's have been made for the 1300 vstar, they work but they're not made for the 950

·
Registered
418 Posts
I moved from a 650 to a 950 and here is a summary of the things I found different:

Belt drive (quieter), rear disc hydraulic brake (better braking), electronic fuel injection (no more choking, just turn the key and hit the starter button, nice fuel mapping on fuel injection system (good response under all conditions), 600 pound bike (feel it in the ride but very nimble), long bike (better ride), Low seat but, bike is a bit wider, still good flat foot stance I’m 5’6”, low fuel indicator, low oil indicator, crankcase dipstick, spin on oil filter, clutch feels good with nice friction zone for low speed turns and smooth shift, lots more power (gotta watch speed closer), floor boards (heel toe rocker on shifter – nice to shift and floor boards reduce air up pants legs), two trip odometers, cast wheels (uses tubeless tires), longer more swept back handlebars to compensate for longer bike, mileage 55 mpg average, overall very pleased with it. :smile:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The 950, with its FI and belt drive is much more powerful and smoother than the 650 , in highway riding. More power, lower RPMs, and a longer wheelbase make the 950 more enjoyable on longer rides. It is also heavier, but not noticably so, unless you have strong crosswinds. I had ridden my 650 to Waco Tx. And back from Dallas, Tx.about a year ago. While it was doable, the stock seat just wasn't all that comfortable. Just last month, I rode my 950T through Waco, all the way past Austin, and was much more comfortable with the stock seat. Mileage on both bikes was comparible, but the 950 gets the nod for the greater horsepower. HTH!
the first thing most 950 owners talk about is changing the seat. i'v haven't rode one very far so i can't say, but it does look kinda thin.

·
Super Moderator
6,393 Posts
I went from a 650 classic to the 950 tourer almost two years ago, and the advantages are the same as commonground mentioned. Like bevo stated, after I got mine the aftermarket was still a bit limited. It's better now, and after doing some research and help from other 950 owners I was able to do some worthy upgrades. I sat on a 950 with a factory seat, but bought mine with the mustang seat. Big difference in my opinion.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I second everything commonground said. I started with a 650 Silverado then upgraded to my 950 Tourer a year and a half ago. The difference is very profound - I have only one negative issue with the 950. The OEM seat is worse than the seat on the 650. I'm looking to replace mine now with an Ultimate solo seat. That's all I'll need to have my dream bike be a complete reality.

·
Registered
354 Posts
little late to this topic but the 950 is a super nice bike. I did a test ride on one. I think it outperforms my 1100. It would be interesting to see which one would win in a race but I would bet money on the 950. Like mentioned in an earlier post they just feel better going down the road.... smoother. If you can pull the trigger on a 950 I would

·
Super Moderator
6,393 Posts
It's interesting you bring that up SSC. A biker friend of mine got married this past Saturday afternoon. We proudly parked our 950t amongst all of the HD's. After we all walked out to mount our rides, several of the other owners commented on our bike, how well they handle, how many Vstar owners they know that ride a 950, and what a great looking bike they are. I sorta puffed my chest out, and proudly thanked them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts