Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I need some advice about a problem I have with my V Star. I ordered an OEM air filter form Yamaha and replaced my old air filter. Ever since I replaced it the bike has been running poorly and has been lagging a little bit through the gears. Unfortunately I wasn't smart and assumed that the other filter was OEM and tossed the other one. I would assume the air filter is the issue because it only started running badly after I changed it. Other than the air filter would there be any other obvious things I could check to mark off the list of possible problems to cut down on possible shop costs? If anyone could give me some advice that would be great.

I'm just afraid that the other filter was an aftermarket and if that's the case I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
just going to respond to bump this back up in the queue. If the filters were the same size and mounted the same, I would not suspect the filter source to be an issue. I know when I first changed mine that I was very unimpressed with how poorly it mounted. I might remove the filter cover and make sure the filter is in still mounted correctly and not allowing air to short circuit the filter.
Was any other work done at the same time?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just going to respond to bump this back up in the queue. If the filters were the same size and mounted the same, I would not suspect the filter source to be an issue. I know when I first changed mine that I was very unimpressed with how poorly it mounted. I might remove the filter cover and make sure the filter is in still mounted correctly and not allowing air to short circuit the filter.
Was any other work done at the same time?
I ordered another OEM filter and this one seems to be fitting even worse than the other one. It doesn't appear to be fitting snugly, even when I attach it on the pin that the notch on the air filter goes onto. I don't understand why it's an issue when the filter is supposed to fit the bike. Incredibly frustrating. It appears the little bit of foam they put around the filter opening prevents it from fitting tight enough.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Here are some suggestions to check for other causes or poor performance such as a lean mixture or fuel delivery issue:
  • check all air duct joints between air filter and air inlet box are made and securely clamped
  • check that the air intake box is fully seated on top of each carb and securely clamped
  • inspect the boots between the carbs and cylinders for cracks
  • make sure the vacuum port below each carb is capped and not leaking
  • using extreme caution, lightly spray carb cleaner where the carb intake bolts to the cylinder, as the oring seal may be leaking. If the rpms change, you have a leak. Carb cleaner is flammable so its best done outdoors with a fire extinguisher for safety
  • replace your fuel filter if its due
  • make sure your gas cap is venting and not allowing a vacuum to form in the tank
  • pull and inspect your plugs
  • replace your fuel if its not fresh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts