Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found a good deal on a V Star in my area but it is only the 650. I want to get a bike that is not a huge touring bike but I also want to be able to take it on some long weekend trips. How does this little 650 do on the highway? Does it rev really high, causing a lot of stress on the bike?

My girlfriend will also be riding with me on it from time to time and I was wondering how well it would handle that. If I don't get the V Star, I am looking at a Shadow 750. I think the 750 would do well. I am also worried about the air cooling on the V Star.

Do these engines have a pretty good reputation for longevity? I know you guys are probably a bit bias but I'm sure you'll be honest. :cool:

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi;
in the last few years I have owned a Kaw Nomad 1500, Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 & now have a V-Star 650 Classic.
For a single rider a V-Star 650 with a little performance mod seems to do ok for 70 mph cruising & the engine revs but acts like it is happy & will go for ever. For two up I recommend a larger bike. I don't think the 750 Shadow will make you happy for two riders. I'd recommend the Shadow 1100 or new 950 V-Star or 1100 V-Star. The Air Cooled engine of the V-Star doesn't seem to be a problem. the V-Star 70 degree twin is an interesting strong engine. It really surprised me & I like the ride of my V-Star over the Shadow & Nomad that I had before.
Too bad you can't ride a V-Star & Shadow to see what fits you best.

Good luck deciding;
johnb

1 - 2 of 2 Posts