Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started riding a year ago after 30 years. I just purchased a used 2007 - 650 Classic with only 1900 miles on it. I always ride one up and the 650 seems very comfortable and has plenty of power for me.

I really like the 650, but before I spend a lot of money to dress it up a little I wanted to ask you all if I take good care of this bike how many miles and how long should I expect it to last.

Thank you,
Steve

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just started riding a year ago after 30 years. I just purchased a used 2007 - 650 Classic with only 1900 miles on it. I always ride one up and the 650 seems very comfortable and has plenty of power for me.

I really like the 650, but before I spend a lot of money to dress it up a little I wanted to ask you all if I take good care of this bike how many miles and how long should I expect it to last.

Thank you,
Steve
Hi Steve,

I wil tell you that usually at around the 30k mark you can almost certainly count on replacing at a minimum at least the cam chain tensioner sliders and cam chains.

I used to own the 86 Virago 700, and at around 35k, I had a tensioner completely separate and fall into the crankcase.
this still happened even though I was following the service schedule.

When you say take good care of it, I hope that you understand that this will mean some parts will need to be changed by then, but as long as you follow the service plan and replace worn parts and cables, brake pads, etc; etc;

The bike could do well up into the 50k or 70k range before a complete tear down of the engine is required to check that all parts are checked for tolerances such as run out piston wear, rings valves rockers, clutch etc; etc; you get the idea?

A lot will depend on how hard it was ridden before you purchased the bike.

Dennis

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well my mums 650 has 60,000kms on the clock (37,300miles) and still runs great.

The trans is showing some wear and tear though as it whines in 5th (not too sure what that is yet).

But it was originally my bike and i KNOW i rode that bike real hard BUT i always maintaind it. Its had full syntetic oil since day one and gets serviced twice a season or every 5000kms.

I do the valve adjustments myself (once a season). And rutinely ride the bike for a bit as im a mechanic for a living (all though for heavy trucks not bikes) and can better tell how the bikes doing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts