Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I’m fairly certain my title says V Star 650 Classic. (Just registered it so I have to wait to get it back in the mail). When I check the vin on Autocheck it comes up as V Star 650 Custom/Classic/Silverado. So I went ahead and ordered the 7” headlight replacement. But when it got here it was TOO BIG. And I’m thinking, WHAT THE HELL! It says it fits V Star 650 Classic!

Did a quick google image search and saw my same headlight on a Custom. Then I started comparing pictures and fellas/ladies I definitely 100% own a Custom not a Classic. I’m not concerned about the title issue either it will be a simple correction or I’m just going to leave it.

What I am concerned about is that this thing has a 5 1/2” headlight which almost no one makes a good looking headlight replacement for! There are 7” headlights all over the place! Even 5 3/4” has a few good looking ones. But 5 1/2” literally has only the basic standard headlight design.

Here’s what I was going for

So my question is, are there any similar aftermarket headlight options that are 5 1/2”?

Or are there good sources for Classic headlight housings that aren’t crazy expensive, that I’ll 3D print a bracket for to mount to the Custom’s mounting locations?

Or maybe you guys have other ideas that would get the same look?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,593 Posts
Unfortunately without a lot of modifying and expense you are limited to the smaller headlight. Yes, there are more 7 inch since they also fit many cars with the main one being Jeeps. There are several halo headlights that fit your bike, here's a sample.

Reactions: Cameron23

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately without a lot of modifying and expense you are limited to the smaller headlight. Yes, there are more 7 inch since they also fit many cars with the main one being Jeeps. There are several halo headlights that fit your bike, here's a sample.

View attachment 94734
So I saw these and they say 5.75”. I imagine they’ll probably fit but I wonder about how to mount them in the ring. I doubt they’ll have the same mounting holes that the current light has on it.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,593 Posts
My bad, I just google 650 Custom LED and those came up. Hopefully someone that has done LED on same bike will chime in.

Reactions: Cameron23

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My bad, I just google 650 Custom LED and those came up. Hopefully someone that has done LED on same bike will chime in.
I think a 5.75” might work size wise. I’d just need to experiment with ways to mount it.

Luckily with a 3D printer bracket possibilities are endless.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
on your title, the only thing that matters is the VIN number

the model names are made up words that mean nothing

·
Registered
2001 VStar 650 Classic
380 Posts
I own a 650 Classic, but it came with a custom headlight housing. I wanted to replace the headlight with a 7" LED similar to the one you show in your original post, but that was not possible, the housing on the bike was 6 1/4". I ended up buying the original one on EBay. It must have been my lucky day, I found it complete for $45 shipped with the mounting bracket and bolts. Although I didn't need the bracket and the bolts. Now I have a light housing sitting in the garage collecting dust.

EBay is your best friend, be patient.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
on your title, the only thing that matters is the VIN number

the model names are made up words that mean nothing
Good to know!

I own a 650 Classic, but it came with a custom headlight housing. I wanted to replace the headlight with a 7"
LED similar to the one you show in your original post, but that was not possible, the housing on the bike was 6 1/4". I ended up buying the original one on EBay. It must have been my lucky day, I found it complete for $45 shipped with the mounting bracket and bolts. Although I didn't need the bracket and the bolts. Now I have a light housing sitting in the garage collecting dust.

EBay is your best friend, be patient.

View attachment 94751

View attachment 94752
I have a feeling it’s going to be a custom bracket to mount a Classic headlight housing to a Custom. Just looking at the pic it looks totally different.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The bracket is simple to change out it is only 2 bolts through the lower triple tree, below I have pictures from partzilla showing the 2 bracket setups, I would buy the housing off of ebay .The top one is the classic , the bottom is the custom.

·
Super Moderator
6,971 Posts
It’s true about the VIN numbers, as long as the VIN matches your license plate, you’re good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FYI, you have a custom. Those are custom forks. Classics have big beefy fork covers on the top half. See robby's pic.
Right that’s what I was trying to say in the original post. That I thought I had a Classic but in fact I have a Custom.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts