Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone.

I'm new to this forum and I certainly look forward to spending time on this site. I just purchased a used 2008 V-Star 650 custom with 2800 kms. You can probably tell from the (km's) I'm from Canada. I am very happy with the bike, but wonder about it's clutch. The bike sometimes lurches forward when I start the bike even while in nuetral and with the clutch lever fully pulled in to the handle bar. Also the bike (sometimes) lurches forward when I shift into first gear with the clutch fully pulled in the handle bar. Is this normal, or is there something wrong. The previous owner had the first year service check performed. :)

Thanks
Dennis

·
Registered
30 Posts
Reaction score
Hi Dennis;
My 1998 V-Star 650 never surges forward while starting in neutral. I don't believe that any manual transmission motorcycle I have owned over the years has jumped ahead while starting in neutral. Some have jumped a little when being put into 1st when the bike was cold & the choke/high idle was on.
Hope that helps;
johnb

·
Registered
16 Posts
Reaction score
My wife's 2002 vstar 650 does the same thing, you think its going to take off before it really starts, but once its running it stops trying to go forward. I also installed a clutch kit for this bike, making the friction point on the clutch more like other bikes instead of all the way out like 650's seem to be, well worth the $17.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks First N Last and StuckatHome!

StuckAtHome, yes you're right, my bike lurches while the starting motor is turning the engine over, but stops once the engine starts. Has any service tech people said that this is normal? Does your wife's bike do this often?
The clutch kit you mentioned. Is that the Seritoca one (not sure if that's spelled right)? And does it increase the range of the friction zone as well, in addition to moving the friction closer to the handlebar? I will order one of those. :)

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
20 Posts
Reaction score
On the original clutch kits that run with those bikes, my co-worker tried explaining to me what is happening to cause that. If I'm incorrect or missing something please let me know.

A wet clutch is immersed in the oil, or another lubricating fluid (on bikes I think its the oil). When you bike is turned off in gear, the fluid settles, leaving parts of the clutch dry. When you then go to turn on your bike again, there is a good deal of friction from the dry parts of the clutch and it tugs a little until the lubrication can settle back in between the two parts. I'm not sure if thats competely correct and any corrections would be gladly appreciated, since knowing the intracacies of motorcycles is always good.

What I do know is my Vstar Custom 650 also did that, and from what he told me I would assume that even when your clutch is pulled in or when you shift to neutral the clutch was a little dry and maintained a little bit of that friction. Thats why when you're turning it over it pulls and then when the engine gets going the fluid is moved around the clutch housing and it releases what little grip it still had.

...did I get it right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fpshow.

You're explanation sounds pretty good. I understand exactly what you are saying. I spoke to the service people today at the local Yamaha dealership and they said it was normal for 650s. They didn't explain it as well as you did though. So, since it's normal I'm happy.
Thanks to all who posted a comment.

Dennis
:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Reaction score
Lurching

I have a new 950 and it can do the same thing. Personally, I start it up in neutral, let it warm up (if its the first ride of the day), cycle the clutch a few time. Then put it in first. Seems to work Okay

·
Registered
10 Posts
Reaction score
I have the V-Star 250 and i can say i suffer from the same problem.
I bought mine with 2000kms on the clock so basically as new.
Over the last month i spent some time investigating the symptoms.

1) Bike lurches forward or stalls in 1st if started stone cold approx 5*c (winter in Australia now).

2) If bike is started in N then kicked down to 1st even after 5 mins of choke will often lurch forward and/or stall.

Those are the symptoms... i had much the same theory except i thought maybe the oil was viscous when cold and wasn't getting around the clutch area properly......so to rectify the problem i changed my oil to 4T which i admit was an expensive experiment and it may have lessened but not got rid of the problem.

It was suggested to me to try kicking up to 2nd to wet the clutch before kicking down to 1st and this has been by far the best "work around"
2nd is a lazier gear so the pull on the clutch is less, the bike doesn't really jerk forward much at all, the clutch gets wet and then i kick down to 1st and ride off....

Since i started doing that i have had no issues, i only need to do it once a day, once the oil is warm and spread around she behaves like a dream (now if i could just strap on some extra cc's)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

I just bought my first bike, an '05 650 Classic with 1800 miles on it. Was concerned a little about the clutch behavior when it was cold. I feel a lot better now that I know this behavior is normal for this bike.

-Craig

·
Registered
162 Posts
Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

I'm new to this forum and I certainly look forward to spending time on this site. I just purchased a used 2008 V-Star 650 custom with 2800 kms. You can probably tell from the (km's) I'm from Canada. I am very happy with the bike, but wonder about it's clutch. The bike sometimes lurches forward when I start the bike even while in nuetral and with the clutch lever fully pulled in to the handle bar. Also the bike (sometimes) lurches forward when I shift into first gear with the clutch fully pulled in the handle bar. Is this normal, or is there something wrong. The previous owner had the first year service check performed. :)

Thanks
Dennis
Dennis, you can greatly minimize or eliminate the cold engine start/cold first gear engagement lurch by using synthetic oil that doesn't have friction modifiers such as Mobil 1 or Valvoline 15w50 or 20w50.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the comments and advice. As Craig said, it feels good to know that this cold clutch grab is normal. Thanks Sgt Mike for the tip on using synthetic - I will definitely use synthetic when I change my oil.
Kind Regards,
Dennis :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reaction score
My sources tell me that the reason the bike lurches when you put it into gear is the cut of the gears. I don't recall what the cut is called but there's a technical term for it. It only happens when you engage 1st from neutral. I made a point of checking out other bikes when in traffic at lights and some other bikes are way worse. I was concerned so I asked my service guy, cause it seemed like clutch engagement was a little rough. I think that's what you guys are talking about?
New here . I didn't realize there was such a large community. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the weather has been a bit warmer here in the last 2 days, as well as that i've warmed my bike up a bit longer than i usually do and i've found that the 250 no longer stalls from N to 1st. I will test again if the temp drops.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Reaction score
My sources tell me that the reason the bike lurches when you put it into gear is the cut of the gears. I don't recall what the cut is called but there's a technical term for it. It only happens when you engage 1st from neutral. I made a point of checking out other bikes when in traffic at lights and some other bikes are way worse. I was concerned so I asked my service guy, cause it seemed like clutch engagement was a little rough. I think that's what you guys are talking about?
New here . I didn't realize there was such a large community. Thanks.
Is it one of these ? :confused::D
Involute gears
Bevel gears
Helical gears
Hypoid greas
Tetrapoid gears
Constant mesh

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reaction score
Gear terminology

I honestly don't remember the term (I'll research further), but the mechanic said that the "clash" was due to the high torque of the engine and that the gears were straight cut so it appears to the rider that there is a what they call "gear clash" on engagement. But not to worry because this is normal.
KES

·
Registered
162 Posts
Reaction score
I honestly don't remember the term (I'll research further), but the mechanic said that the "clash" was due to the high torque of the engine and that the gears were straight cut so it appears to the rider that there is a what they call "gear clash" on engagement. But not to worry because this is normal.
KES
A straight cut tooth is commonly called a spur gear. And yes, it is normal.

http://www.engineersedge.com/gears/gear_types.htm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Reaction score
I'm SO glad I came across this. I'm a BRAND new rider with an 09 650 Custom and mine lurches foward as well. It will be due for it's 600 mile check up here shortly and was going to get them to look into that but the description of the issue here sounds like it's nothing to worry about.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.