Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2008 V-Star 650 Silverado for my son. He LOVES the bike (he was riding a 1976 Yamaha 650) but a previous owner altered the pipes and we're not into pipes that loud. I've been looking on eBay and Craigslist for stock pipes but I don't know what years will fit his bike. Will stock pipes from a 2000 V-Star 650 fit? What other years will fit?

My late husband always took care of these things for me. I have a cycle mechanic I trust who will do the work for us.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Eshaust

NM mom,

I looked at Cobra's web page they list the same exhaust for 98 to 03. I suspect if you are only changing the muffler you can go a little more range. They started putting Catalectic converters on in 2006 so for sure not newer than 05. This should also apply to stock.

http://www.cobrausa.com/exhaust_compare.php?make_id=6&make=Yamaha&model=V-Star 650 Classic (04-10)&model_id=84

For slip on mufflers it says 98 to 03 for all, but for non California 98 to 05. (This means you ae only changing the muffler.)

http://www.cobrausa.com/exhaust_detail.php?model_id=84&make_id=6&product_id=525&make=Yamaha&model=V-Star 650 Classic (04-10)&product=Slip-On Slashcut (98-03 All), 04-05 Non-CA Models

I bet he will hate it if you take away his loud pipes. But check EBay.

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. He's actually the one who wanted the pipes changed...doesn't like his ears ringing after a long ride. My late husband didn't like loud pipes either....all six of his bikes had stock pipes.

I found some 2000 pipes on Craigslist I might go ahead and try. The price is right. If they don't fit, lesson learned. :)

Thanks again. I'd love to hear from anyone else who might also be able to help me.

Ann

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much! No, we have a Silverado, not a Custom. He loves the bike, just not the noise. Maybe I'll contact this guy and tell him I'll take the 2000 pipes....nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Ann

1 - 5 of 5 Posts