Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am researching my first bike and have pretty much narrowed it down to a 2002 V Star 650 and a 2002 Honda Shadow Aero 750. The Honda people are telling me that V Stars are notorious for "throwing rods" at about 30-40k miles. I must admit that I'm not much of a mechanic, so I have no idea what this means, but apparently it is something that pretty much ruins the engine. What do you all think about this info?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Well, Ol Sugar Bear will be the first to admit he seems to be old fashioned and out of touch with lots of folks here, but in his time to now, he must say he has never heard that. Be that Yamaha or any other bike (brand) Really don't think that(throwin a rod) would ever be an issue:rolleyes: Been ridin for a while, not me or anyone I know has ever throwed a rod, I'm sure it has happened somewhere, sometime, but never in my world.:D Maybe other folks have a much better answer than this one. Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Bashing

BG,

Been reading here for a couple of years. I have never seen a post of someone with this probem. Don't remember an engine failure of anykind actually.

Unfortunatly many bikers like to bash brands of bikes other than their own. Often like to believe it. Specially sales people. My opinion this is what is happening there.

Ask yourself, how many worn out Jap bike of any brand have you seen? Any Yamaha or Honda either one will go far beyond that. My Liner has near 50k with no failures.

Dave

·
Registered
778 Posts
Ok, wasn't aware that bikes had rods to throw. Mainly because the two bikes I've owned never had any major mechanical problems no matter how much I've tinkered. Unlike many cars where I've thrown a rod this does not seem to be a problem that has been posted where I've been reading.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just look at how long Yamaha has been using the same 650 engine, that should tell you a lot. Watch out for a dealer that lies.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hello,
I am researching my first bike and have pretty much narrowed it down to a 2002 V Star 650 and a 2002 Honda Shadow Aero 750. The Honda people are telling me that V Stars are notorious for "throwing rods" at about 30-40k miles. I must admit that I'm not much of a mechanic, so I have no idea what this means, but apparently it is something that pretty much ruins the engine. What do you all think about this info?
I think your Honda dealer is trying to make a sale. If they'd lie about that then think of what they'll lie about with thier own product.

:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
The only recent bike I have heard of having rod (or rod bearing) failures was the 06 (and I think some 07) R6's - WHOLE different animal from the 650.
Hardley aside, it's pretty rare to hear consitent bottom end or for that matter top end failures in v-twin motors from the big 4. These are not like high performance motors that are pushing the envelope. There are old, proven technology that just keeps on ticking.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Most likely the only problem you will ever have with the 650 engine is the pick-up coil for the ignition. It's located down in the crankcase, in hot engine oil, and over time, it will fail.
Of course this is true of any engine where the pick-up coil is in hot engine oil.

Very, very reliable engines.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
The man's a SALES man. I'm a marine diesel mech and I've seen a few connector rods let go and basically your engine is toast. To answer your question, the "rod" is the connecting rod that connects the piston head to the crank. If it breaks it can be pushed right through the crank case and or just beat the crap out of the engine. I don't pretend to have alot of experience with the 650 but when deciding on a bike, mechanical reliability was something I looked into and heard nothing about the V star 650 "throwing rods".

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've seen that in a car, time to replace the motor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I like to visit various dealerships to see their Bikes. I 've not had one Salesman (including Harley) say anything negative about my v* 650 Classic, ever. In fact I don't recall any salesman ever bashng another brand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2000 Yamaha V Star 650, that just threw a rod ?? it broke my heart because she literally rode perfectly until 2 days ago

·
Super Moderator
2,321 Posts
This is a 10 year old post you will get more replies if you start a new thread in the V Star forum.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
I have a 2000 Yamaha V Star 650, that just threw a rod ?? it broke my heart because she literally rode perfectly until 2 days ago

you are going to have to explain this better!

how many miles were on the bike?

what was the situation where it threw the rod? did it run dry of oil?

did you down shift at high rpms instead of upshifting and mechanically red line the engine?

have you been habitually reving the engine up in each gear until the rev limiter kicked in?

From the years Ive been reading here you are the first to report any V star engine throwing a rod (as you can see from this 10 year old thread - NO ONE has ever reported it )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts