Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I don't mind the whining, I'm use to that from the kids. My V-Star whines, but I'm pretty sure that the shaft (or something like that) and that's ok. But, the engine makes a ticking sound, which bothers me. I hear the ticking when I'm riding and nearing the top end of a gear. When I shift up to the next gear, the ticking is gone. The ticking seems to be coming from the front of the engine. Also, if I'm standing next to the bike running in nuetral and give it a little rev I also hear the ticking from the front of the engine. My question - Is this normal :confused:

Dennis

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks fpshow. Finally, I got a reply. So if it's normal, I'm a happy rider. I guess all bikes have their quirks, whether it's noise, handling or something else. I read the thread you pointed me to regarding the 950 ticking issue. Sounds like the big brother to the 650 shares some of the same DNA. I look forward to hearing about your experience with synthetic oil. I too will use syn when I change the oil next.

Despite it's little quirks, I am very happy to own my 650. It's a beautiful bike.

Thanks,
Dennis :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Haha, that was actually a little my bad. The V-Stars are known for that sound... but for some reason I thought you posted about a 950. But from what I gather, its the same issue on the 650s.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well fpshow, I'm the only 650 owner on this site (so far) that says their 650 ticks. You were the only person who responded saying you were experiencing the same, but since you have a 950, not a 650, I guess I am the only one. :(

Dennis

·
Registered
20 Posts
Honestly, if there is a ticking that other 650 owners have (and I just had a 650 custom), but no one is responding... it still could be the same issue. Switch over to Synth and see what happens, I remember when I had my 650 and came to this site there was talk of how its a signature for Yamahas... the slight ticking sound in the engine. I can't remember though if it was for just the 950s or all the vstars in general. Keep your chin up, switch to synth and see what happens. Unless you wanna just run it into the shop and have them give it a thorough check.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks fpshow. :)

I kind of think that the ticking is normal, as you say, but I guess I am looking for reassurance from some 650 owners. But I will do as you suggest and try synth my next oil change. Can you tell me what brand and viscocity of oil I should use. I live in a climate with temperatures running between 15 - 25 celcius (60 - 80 Fahrenheit) during the riding season. I appreciate your help. :)

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
1 Posts
same ticking on 1100 custom

I too have the ticking. I have also taken mine back to the shop for a valve check. No much change, if any. I have put about 3k on mine and do not seem to have found any issues, it keeps cruising along. I have gotten used to it, it seems to only happen when under throttle, not while idling or at cruising speed with no engine stress, but give it a little twist and I can hear it. I have had a couple of people say that it was a signature Yamaha thing. SO for what it's worth, same thing on 1100.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ticking and whining

have been reading the discussion re: excessive valve noise. I have a 650 with 40,000 KMs and have set the valves 3 times. From my experience the noise is normal. If you do not hear any valve noise I would be concerned that the valves are too tight. The primary also produces some whining. 100% syn. does cut down some of the noise and the clutch loves it.:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep I got the same thing on with my 1100. Talked to the mech and he said it is normal for VStar. It was pretty worried when I first started hearing mine since I bought my bike brand new off the floor. However, I have 6800 miles on her and she still runs great and still has that sound.

·
Registered
24 Posts
my 950 ticks too ...

I road the 1300 no ticks
My 950 ticks
1000km is up so into the shop for the first service I'll see what they have to say about ...

to hear it best, ride km/hr in second gear ..

it bugs me how this bike can be so perfect and have that damn ticking ....

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have 66000 on my 1100 and it still ticks. I am starting to think maybe it might be normal. Just a guess though.
I must be bored here at work I am starting to sound like a smartass.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hello I was reading these comments and I decided to join this forum because the one thing that happened to me has not been mentioned. I bought a 2002, 650 classic in Nov. About two weeks after I bought the bike I started hearing a ticking sound coming from the front of the engine. I'm 65 years old but I have way better hearing than most people. While riding the bike I would lean over and lessen to the ticking, Note: This wasn't the safest way to do this but I had to find where the problem was. Finally I started reaching under the gas tank, pushing on things, then in front of the tank, the noise quit, I was relieved that it was a minor problem.The second key hanging on the key chain was swinging and hitting the frame the windshield was bringing the sound up to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
20w50 and high test gas did not work for me

I have a 950 that ticks like an old lawn mower that Yamaha won't fix

people here said 20w50 synthetic old and high test but at the 7000km oil change I did it, but not even a 1% change ...

·
Registered
404 Posts
The second key hanging on the key chain was swinging and hitting the frame the windshield was bringing the sound up to me.
LOL...I had a similar problem. I was noticing a rattling noise when I'd ride, but it wasn't all the time and I could never hear it when the bike was idling. I finally figured out that it only happened when I'd put my feet on the highway pegs; the change in airflow was rattling the keys on my belt :eek:! I was glad I hadn't come on here and described it hoping someone could diagnose my problem before I realized what it was.

As far as ticking, my 1100 ticks. My '83 500 Virago ticked for the 20 years that I rode it. My buddy's '93 535 Virago ticks. Common denominator? Yamaha v-twin cruisers. I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
A small amount of ticking from the top end is quite normal and inherent with all the Star models. It's usually a combination of valve tappet clearance and cam chain noise with exception to the push rod models (no cam chain). Using synthetic or mineral base oils of a higher viscosity will not reduce this noise substantially. All you can do to minimize this noise is to make sure your valve clearances are adjusted to the tighter side of their tolerance parameter. Specification for the XVS650 intake is between 0.0028-0.0047" or 0.07-0.12mm. The exhaust is between 0.0047-0.0067" or 0.12-0.17mm. Cam chains can contribute to a clicking sound also. It's usually minimal but in rare cases one of the tensioners can get stuck and not ratchet properly to keep the chain from slapping the guides. If you suspect this rare possibility it's easier for me to advise you to take it to a competent mechanic to have them checked unless you are capable of doing it yourself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ticking is normal with the kind of valve train you've got. Think of an aircooled, non hydraulic lifter, VW engine. They ticked, if they didn't tick they were to tight and caused broken valves. Learn to love it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not to bring up and old thread, but I have the same ticking on an '04 650 Classic - it's not just ticking, but general clackety noises at anything but the lowest RPM's and at idle (when warmed up).

It runs great, starts w/o the choke every time - and is getting around 50MPG.

I bought the bike with 8K miles (almost 9K a month later), and I didn't notice it at first because I usually wear a full-face helmet that muffles higher-frequency noices. W/o the helmet it's much more obvious.

It's also worse when the bike has been ridden and is well warmed up, and the ticking can be heard idling at a red light.

The previous owner said the oil had recently been changed, but I'm wondering if it that was true. These symptoms would be typical of old oil (noisier when the bike is warmed up) - right?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same here - clearly from the front of the motor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.