Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here. Have been reading the forums for a bit but decided it's time to jump in and hopefully get some advice.

I am attempting to bring my 99 V-Star 650 Classic back to life after a spill I had on it and let it sit for far, far too long. Like around 4 years too long.

Plan originally was to just sell it for parts or whatever and buy something else but that didn't happen. Now with gas prices, I am trying to get it running again.

So far I have replaced parts that were having issues and I'll list them below.

Exhaust - a set of used Cobra's from eBay
Rear brake shoes
Carburetor joints and new bands
Spark plugs
Oil filter w/oil change
Fuel filter
Battery
Various parts that were destroyed when I had the accident.

It was originally leaking fuel from around the rear cylinder. Learned if gas is not going through to the cylinder it will overflow and leak out the back, so I had to pull the carburetor out and clean it as best I could. Unfortunately, I couldn't get to the jets because the screws were rounded off by the previous owner. One of the diaphragm's was stuck, which seems to have been causing the gas to overflow and leak so I used some carb cleaner and cleaned it and it now moves fine. After reinstalling, no more leaking gas.

Now when I start it, it fluctuates between blowing gray smoke which changes to white and then disappears and not blowing any smoke out of the top exhaust. The bottom exhaust originally was as well, before I cleaned the carb, but it is not anymore. There is also white smoke coming out from around the top pipe and its connection with the rear cylinder. Used exhaust, so figure it's just burning stuff off. It also won't stay running. It is not leaking any fluids anymore, it is not running rough, and I can keep it running by holding the throttle open, it just won't stay that way once I let go of the throttle. I was able to get it to start without choke and without throttle a couple times after it died but then it just dies again around 30 seconds later.

There was about 1/2 - 3/4 a gallon of gas in it that I did not stabilize. I know, that's bad. I was told by a number of people to just put fresh gas in with the old gas if I didn't want to drain it and it should dilute it enough to run. It did seem to do the trick as it does produce ignition. I was also told it wouldn't hurt to put Stabil in it now and it might help. I have not done this yet.

The spark plugs do have some black around the electrodes but I figure that is pretty normal since they are sitting next to a tiny explosion but I could be wrong.

I have some mechanical skill and do most of the work on my cars so not afraid to pull the whole thing apart if necessary, just really hoping I don't have to.

Any advice, direction or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1982 XV1100,1989 XT600Z Tenere, 2008 F800ST
1,964 Posts
If you have tried to adjust the idle speed without getting it to idle, chances are that your idle jets are clogged. You can reach the idle mixture screws without removing the fuel tank, and if you are lucky, removing the screws - NOTE NUMBER OF TURNS OUT FROM LIGHTLY SEATED FIRST - and the washer, seal and spring that sit behind the screw, then spraying with lots if starter fluid or brake cleaner, will clear the orifices in the carbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and advice.

I did this and still seems to be having issues. It does sound better when I start it but still can't get it to idle.

I have gone ahead and pulled the carb again and going to just thoroughly clean it and replace all the parts that need replacing, like the rounded off screws and anything else that might be screwed up. Hopefully this solves something. Will update on what happens once done.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra (totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 (current)
14,158 Posts
Just a good cleaning and you should be good. I always replace the bowl screws this regular hex head stainless steel, any local hardware store will have them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts