Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered today that my rear brake light stays on when activated with the foot pedal for the back brake.

Light goes off if I push up on the center plunger attached to the spring that pulls it down.

I know there is an adjustment but is this an indication that the switch is starting to malfunction or something to grease the plunger, etc????

Just happened to notice it when I did my daily walk around while warming up the engine on initial start.

TIA

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you notice, the lower part of the switch itself is threaded and the plastic nut that snaps into the bracket can be rotated to adjust when the light comes on. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
there are a couple hinge points on the rear brake linkage rod. Disconnect your rear brake from the lever on the drum and get out the white lithium grease spray can - the linkage is probably hanging up on one of those bushings

the brake position adjustment will not change on its own

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there are a couple hinge points on the rear brake linkage rod. Disconnect your rear brake from the lever on the drum and get out the white lithium grease spray can - the linkage is probably hanging up on one of those bushings

the brake position adjustment will not change on its own
Makes sense since all the brine we had on the roads in the early spring - actually placed the can earlier within easy reach the next time I go out to visit the bike.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,474 Posts
Might be corrosion in the switch itself. If you have some electric motor cleaner spray the switch and work the switch to have some get inside. The switch is weather proof but will corrode. I've had it happen before. I like the electric motor cleaner as it's safe for electrical stuff.

·
5,474 Posts
Thanks, Les,

I'll grab a can tomorrow.
Works good on any electrical connection. I ride in a lot of humidity and rain, electrical connections corrode over time in this environment. When ever I'm working on bike, oil change, etc, I will disconnect any easily accessible connections, clean with spray and put dialectic grease in. I used to have corrosion issues years ago until I started doing this.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had the same issue on my 650 last year. Turned out I just needed to lube the pedal pivot point.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the same issue on my 650 last year. Turned out I just needed to lube the pedal pivot point.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I had just done the forward foot controls about two weeks ago - so everything was all right there - I pulled the switch plunger out as far as it would come - sprayed it with electrical cleaner followed by a shot of silicon spray - switch now works ok.

Thanks for the hints.

·
5,474 Posts
Great news. It's always great when a fix is simple. The electrical cleaner works very good on any electrical motor or switch to get rid of gunk that has collected. On electrical connections after cleaning a little dialectic grease protects it from future corrosion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts