Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a 950 with about 180 miles on it. It seems to ride fine except a sanding/grinding noise on the front end. Upon inspection, it looks like the front brake pads are in contact on both sides of the wheel and there is more wear on the front than the back. It moves fine with the f.break released and the front break still works, but the noise, wear and closeness of the pads has me concerned.

What should I do?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Brakes

I guess the obvious thing would be, it is under warranty take it back to the dealer.

I did see someone post here a similar problem, they removed the calipers to look at them. Put them back and they were OK. Like they were not seated properly.
Dave

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Had a problem sort of like that, without the noise, on the back brake of an 1100, rotor getting very hot, took the caliper apart and found a small burr on the piston, smoothed it out put it all back together and had no trouble since, linerdave I agree with , back to the dealer or if you feel ok checking it yourself, your choice. Hope it works out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 950 as well, can't say I've experienced the same problem but agree with linerdave, if its under warranty, bring it back to the dealer. You could have a defective caliper which is bad enough on a car but on the front of your motorcycle? That could end up being disastrous. My two cents...

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Front brake

Tony,
I never thought about a lock up. that would be disastrous. I once talked to a guy that the brake pads got to thin and moved locking up the front wheel. Needless to say he went down.

Embsupafly if you have not already taken the bike in I would. Let us know how it comes out.

Dave

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Better safe than sorry of course, there must be something I don't
get here, how and why would pads move cause they got thin? We all need to know these things, a lockup would not make for a good day in anyones book. I always figured it would booger up rotors
before anything else, yes, no, maybe, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Brakes

This is all hearsay, but what happened was both the disk and the pads were worn below minimum and one of the brake pads was able to begin to slip out of place and move. Then jammed. Did not actually see this.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts