Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
13,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got to get to my clutch to repair it, but my problem is just getting to the clutch. as you see in these pictures, the right side of the frame is blocking the rest of the screws holding the right side of the engine cover. i'm guessing that once i get these last screws i'll finally be able to take off this large right side engine cover and then get to my clutch. as you can also see, it appears that the right part of the frame was made to be taken off at 2 specific screw/nut locations.

is it for this purpose? am i OK if i take this off? should i put the bike on the ground before i do it or is it OK to to have up on the lift? is taking this right side off going to put any undue stress on the rest of the frame or other parts? should i just take this to a shop that knows for sure what they're doing so i don't damage anything? FYI, the right frame isn't even touching my jack on the right side of the last picture, so there is no weight on it at that point, only possibly on the left side of the jack right at the nut location where the photo was taken.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I agree with Nick. As far as the frame sections, my 1100 has some of the same looking joints. I would be afraid to take one of those apart for fear of the whole thing twisting out of alignment and being holy hell to get back together.

·
Administrator
13,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i'm gonna do it. i don't think i've ever seen another motorcycle frame like this before, and it is impossible to work on the engine from this side with this frame in the way. i consulted an experienced friend who also thinks the purpose of this was so this portion of the frame can be taken off just so you can get to the engine.

the service manual shows this frame sub-section removed under the chapter "Engine Removal", and under the chapter "Clutch" under "parts to remove" includes "downtube". so apparently you do have to remove this frame section.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
So did you get your clutch replaced?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts