Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my wife and I took a new (leftover) 2014 V-Star 950 out for test ride and ended up buying it today. Will have it home in the next week or so.

This will be the first bike I have ever owned with floorboards and only second one I have ever ridden with floorboards (other was HD Fat Boy). And first one ever with heel/toe shifter. Anyway, one of the things I noticed is the lack of space between floorboards and front shift lever. Was wearing tennis shoes for test ride, but normally wear a boot of some kind and looking at getting a pair of Joe Rocket Big Bang boots and don't think the toe of that will fit between floorboard and front shift lever to upshift with toe.

So, how do you guys, with larger feet and OEM floorboards shift normally? Can you fit a booted toe up under there? Or do you upshift by stepping down with your heel on the back of the heel/toe shifter?

All thoughts appreciated. Yes, I know I am a newbie!

·
Administrator
13,283 Posts
you can adjust the hight of the heel/toe parts relative to the floorboard by adjusting the length of the shift linkage. you see that thin, round metal rod that the shifter is connected to? adjust the nuts at both ends and you can screw the rod in and out which changes its length which changes the angle/height of the heel/toe knobs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boo hiss on your dealer not making sure that was adjusted for you when you pick it up.
Not a big deal as I haven't actually picked it up yet. They did a pre-ride prep for us since this was brand new on the showroom floor and only one they had for us to ride. Just noticed that on the first ride last night. We did purchase last night, but won't be picking up until next week. They are now doing the pre-purchase prep, get the shifter adjusted (although, they said if you adjust to raise the front is lowers the back - don't have bike home right now to look at it), get Battery Tender pre-wire installed, and waiting on the Cobra backrest to arrive and get installed. Then we will finally bring her home!

·
Registered
421 Posts
It is usual with a heel-and-toe shifter to upshift by using your heel on the rear pedal, and downshift using the ball of your foot (or your toe) on the front pedal. One virtue - you don't scuff up the toe of your shoe. If you adjust the front of the lever high enough to get your toe under it, there may not be enough room under the heel to allow the shift before the heel hits the floorboard.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have mine adjusted lower in the front and just use my heal to upshift. For me, if the toe shifter is high enough to get a boot under it I can't lift my toe over it to shift down. I end up having to pick up my entire foot and down shift by moving my leg down not just my toe. Not real comfortable or convenient. I wouldn't stress too much. It's an easy adjustment so ride it a while and change it around till you find what's most comfy for you.

·
Registered
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
299 Posts
Give heel shifting a chance before you adjust anything. Most riders will like it once it becomes natural. Unless you have another bike and switch between them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree with most of the replies here. My 950 is also first heel/toe shifter I have had/ridden since I started riding in 1969. I absolutely love it. Use your heal to up shift, toe to downshift. Try it. I think you'll like it.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I remember trying the heel toe on a friends Kawasaki. I had to pull over to try and figure out what gear i was in. Heel up toe down is the way to remember. Every once in a while pulling out of work i have a brain fart but catch it right away.

·
2,497 Posts
I never used one until I got my 1100. Loved it from the start and I won't have another cruiser that doesn't have it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hmm glad I saw this thread, wow, this makes a lot sense.

When I got my, new to me, VStar 650 it was adjusted / setup for the dimensions of the previous owner. He's a little over 5'10 and I'm a short guy 5'7 150lbs. Not to mention this is my first bike, and the first I have ever owned and driven with floorboards. I have a dirt bike with pegs that I only ride in the desert and off road trails so up shifting with my toe is second nature when it comes to riding a motorcycle. The first street legal motorcycle I ever drove was a Harley when I took the MSP class to get my endorsement but that one also had pegs. When I ride i wear boots, the tip of my boot fits very well under the shifter, with a bit of room to spare. On my first ride I gave heel up-shifting a chance, but I felt that there is a great amount of effort to heel up-shift, I hated it. I decided to toe up-shifting for the last 300 miles since I owned my VStar.

Now that I am reading this I'd like to give heel up-shifting a second change. Definitely there is a certain level of discomfort associated with the height of the toe shift level that makes the heel portion lower to the point that I have to push far down with my heel. I am thinking I should make adjustments to lower the front and when I do that the back will raise?. If I do not like it I will adjust it to the way it is now but seems like a waste of an added comfort that came with my bike.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,439 Posts
The height/angle of toe/heal shifter is easy to adjust. Might take a few adjustments to get it just right for you but makes using the toe/heal shifter a pleasure. Below is video.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I was the same when i got my star. Absolutely hated the heel shifter. Like you 45 years of just the toe shifter. My heel shifter is just above the height of the floor board. So my foot touched down flat even with the floor board is enough to change gears. One of the most dificult things to get used to is having my foot in different positions on the board because with pegs they are only in one spot. Kinda nice to wiggle around

·
2,497 Posts
The previous owner must've used the heel-toe on mine because I really had to work to get my toe under it. But I was curious how the heel shift would be anyway so I gave it an honest try. It did take a little getting used to, but it quickly became second nature. Without floorboards, yeah, maybe the heel shifter would be awkward. But with them, ideal.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The previous owner must've used the heel-toe on mine because I really had to work to get my toe under it. But I was curious how the heel shift would be anyway so I gave it an honest try. It did take a little getting used to, but it quickly became second nature. Without floorboards, yeah, maybe the heel shifter would be awkward. But with them, ideal.
I forgot to say i wouldn't part with them now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Absolutely hated the heel shifter.
I hated it the first and only time I tried heel shifting. I'm going to give another shot at it, before I do that, I am going to adjust the shifter. Mine is adjusted like in the video above (skip to 0.14 seconds) and like @Deeksvstarclassic , my heel touches down completely flat on the board before I have a chance to push down to up shift creating a weird, uncomfortable angle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts