Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 V-Star 950 and I have been reading up on this issue. I never noticed this before and I take my hands off every now and then while riding.

NOTE**My bike got rear ended last month while I was stopped (car wasn't going too fast) and I just got it back from the shop.

When I'm riding and take off both hands from the grips at 30-45 MPH (don't know the exact MPH?) the front tire starts to wobble and after a few seconds I need to grab the bars to get control of it.

Checked front pressure, it was at 25 lbs., LOW, so I added air up to 37 PSI and took it out tonight for a test ride.

However, the front tire and handlebars were still wobbling. It doesn't do it ALL the time, EVERY single time I take my hands OFF the grips, but at certain speeds, etc. it does it, and, I NEVER HAD THIS HAPPEN BEFORE?:confused:

While my bike was getting repaired ($2,300) at the shop, I got them to add my OEM Yamaha HARD BAGS I bought off a forum member. I doubt that is it, but maybe the additional DRAG made me notice it?

I read something about adjusting and or tightening the steering stem, BUT not sure what to do? I know their is a LARGE single NUT Below the ignition, do I check and tighten this?

Not sure if this is even the issue? Also was told it could be the front tire that is unevenly worn, or unbalanced? It makes me uncomfortable as I like the bike to be smooth. I don't notice ANYTHING when riding normal, but something isn't right.

Should I take it to dealer and try to get them to fix it as part of the wreck? SINCE it never did this before? If it's an easy fix, I'd like to just fix it myself, but it is bothering me and I am slightly concerned eek:

Thanks Guys!

The Bandit...............

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Corsair

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bandit you can put ride on tire balance and sealer in your tires. I put it on with my commander II tires and it works great. At least this way you will know if it's just out of balance and it also seals punctures. Other than that could be a bent rim or maybe you need to add bar weight if you didn't already.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jay,

Thanks I don't know what that is, but off to research NOW. I rode today and it only wobbled SOME of the time? A few times it was REALLY bad. Then I tried to make it happen at various speeds and it wasn't working, maybe a good thing?

I was running it up to 55 then and various speeds and taking hands off. The 2 times it did it I was likely going around 35 mph.

I guess it is a good thing it wasn't happening ALL the time. I got Commander front and rear about 2,000 miles ago, and then because of my accident, they JUST replaced the REAR tire with a new Commander.

I am hoping it is just the tire out of balance, BUT, why would it only do it sometime????

Again the one time it wobbled, it started small, then at the end I had to grab it as the bars were really vibrating HARD.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here are my guesses:

"generally" if a tire wobbles on a car or bike at a certain speed, I check the balance. The collision could have knocked a weight off the front and it wasn't checked since it wasn't part of the collision?

"specifically" if you have spoked rims, they can be un-true and cause wobble but I would think it would be always and not just at certain speeds.

either way, the shop can check for both and fix either.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Jay,

Thanks I don't know what that is, but off to research NOW. I rode today and it only wobbled SOME of the time? A few times it was REALLY bad. Then I tried to make it happen at various speeds and it wasn't working, maybe a good thing?

I was running it up to 55 then and various speeds and taking hands off. The 2 times it did it I was likely going around 35 mph.

I guess it is a good thing it wasn't happening ALL the time. I got Commander front and rear about 2,000 miles ago, and then because of my accident, they JUST replaced the REAR tire with a new Commander.

I am hoping it is just the tire out of balance, BUT, why would it only do it sometime????

Again the one time it wobbled, it started small, then at the end I had to grab it as the bars were really vibrating HARD.
Bandit

You can get through Amazon. If it's out of balance it would only shake at certain speeds. Also if you use ride on you don't need the weights. You can leave them on or take them off it doesn't matter. The ride is great you are gonna love it.:cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would check your torque on the neck bearings. Jack your bike up off of the ground and see how easy your front end falls from side to side. It should not just flop one way or the other. It should just easily move from center to one side. If it just falls to the steering stop with no resistance, you need to tighten the nut that snugs up the steering bearings. A tire would have to be pretty bad for a Yamaha to have steering shake.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would check your torque on the neck bearings. Jack your bike up off of the ground and see how easy your front end falls from side to side. It should not just flop one way or the other. It should just easily move from center to one side. If it just falls to the steering stop with no resistance, you need to tighten the nut that snugs up the steering bearings. A tire would have to be pretty bad for a Yamaha to have steering shake.
:) :( :rolleyes:

Update, rode today November 2nd. It doesn't do it all the time, but it does it several times as I tested it a dozen times or more while riding.

Gilly, I knew this was a possible fix, but wasn't sure which Bolt to tighten? It isn't the Large one under the Key, is it? That would be too easy! I heard you need a special tool to do this? true?

It is bugging the heck out of me. When I am on a super smooth road, it doesn't seem to do it. The road surface seems to have some impact on it, I looked at the road when it does it BAD, and the road had snake (squiggly) groves the same way of my tire tread, like if you made hundreds of "S's" in a row.

I usually bring it up to 60, or 50, then let go with Hands over the grips so it is safe. It does it BAD sometimes, and other times it doesn't. It starts out small, then BUILDS and gets really WOBBLY!

I am going to bring it in. The only thing that was added, are Yamaha HARD Saddle Bags, a New Back Tire, and the front Commander Tire has about 2,000 miles on it and 6 months of weekend riding.

I am HOPING it is just the Balance. There IS a weight on front rim, but maybe it need to be rebalanced.

AS soon as I put pressure on the Hand Grips, the shake goes away.:confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
It looks like the V Star 950 is similar to the Warrior as far as the steering. You will have to remove the top tree to get to the adjusting nuts that will tighten up your steering. It's really not that bad. Just remember to remove the gas tank so you do not damage it. You will also need a spanner wrench or something that will tighten the nut, i actually used a big set of pliers to tighten mine, although i used caution not to damage the nut. Use your own discretion on the tool used if you do this yourself. You might check your bike tool kit for the spanner wrench needed. Hope this helps you some.;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bandaid
Did u get the ride ? It definitely sounds out of balance. I would try it before u go through all that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ride on that is.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have experienced this but only towards the end of the life of the tire. My solution was replacing the tire. Are your sure you don't have a bad tire?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well what was it?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Doubt this is your problem, but just a thought here: since you were running low tire pressure, did you check your tire for cupping? As was stated, could be as easy to fix as putting on a new tire, hope that is the case, if needed. Good luck with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts