Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone upgraded their horn? Im not looking to do anything crazy, but I was looking at a piaa that has good reviews. Just wondering how difficult to install etc.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I got a Freeway Blaster from my local automotive shop. I got the low note one, fits with just a minor modification and no extra equipment or hardware needed. Not as loud as putting an air horn on but cheaper and easier and still louder than stock. Cost me $20. Here's a youtube link to check out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Has anyone upgraded their horn? Im not looking to do anything crazy, but I was looking at a piaa that has good reviews. Just wondering how difficult to install etc.
I replace mine with a FIAMM 72012 12 V Low Note, it was a simple 2 minute switch. I used the stock mounting and wiring, simple switch out. Just make sure and point it to the ground, that way water will not pool in it. It definitely isn't an air horn, but that wasn't what I was looking for.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just had to snip the plastic holding the wires together that lead to the horn as the Fiamm horn has the connectors a little further apart than the stock ones. And yes pointing it downwards is a great idea. I had a friend put one on and he didn't do this. First rainfall and it filled with water.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The WOLO horn works quite well with minor modifications on install.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I installed the Stebel Nautilus on my 950 last night. Took me a while to decide how to mount it and how to route the wiring. I used the optional wiring harness, an extra $22 well spent. The wiring harness made it simple, although I did have to splice in an extra 6" piece on the hot wire. It comes with the relay and fuse pre-wired so I didn't have to waste my time trying to decipher the "instructions" that came with the horn. The seller does make it clear that this horn cannot be used with the existing horn wiring, but the wires to the horn button just connect to the relay.

It's significantly louder than the stock horn and has a strong, clear two-tone trumpet sound. It's NOT a train horn by any means but, if using a scale where "train horn" is at the top and "sick roadrunner" is at the bottom, I would place it at "elephant". Maybe not the grandaddy elephant of the jungle, but a respectable, energetic young elephant at least.

Horn: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMX20H4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wiring harness: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028ZKMM6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
2014 Stratoliner Deluxe & 2010 Stratoliner S
119 Posts
Where did you mount it on the 950? I'm looking at the same thing and scratching my head. Would you be kind enought to post a photo please? Thanks. -Joshua

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Where did you mount it on the 950? I'm looking at the same thing and scratching my head. Would you be kind enought to post a photo please? Thanks. -Joshua
Hey, Joshua, sorry...I don't have a photo of it handy but I'm only a little embarrassed to admit that I tie-wrapped it to the top of the right-side engine guard, over against the frame. It sits at the same angle as the frame, so it's pointing forward and down. I felt like it was a cheesy way to do it but it actually looks fine...the tie-wraps aren't noticeable and the horn is solidly fixed with no movement. I'll try to get a photo up for you one o' these days...

·
Registered
2014 Stratoliner Deluxe & 2010 Stratoliner S
119 Posts
Hey, Joshua, sorry...I don't have a photo of it handy but I'm only a little embarrassed to admit that I tie-wrapped it to the top of the right-side engine guard, over against the frame. It sits at the same angle as the frame, so it's pointing forward and down. I felt like it was a cheesy way to do it but it actually looks fine...the tie-wraps aren't noticeable and the horn is solidly fixed with no movement. I'll try to get a photo up for you one o' these days...

Thanks. No engine guard in the plans, as I want to add control extentions... but the bike's torn down right now for paint and mods, so now's the time to figure it out... IMG_4079.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I made an "L" bracket and mounted mine in the stock location. I had to move the brake master a little bit.

If you go with a big horn you have to use a relay. Otherwise you will burn out your switch. IF you get this horn get a good relay do not use the one that comes with it. I had to bend the mounting tang back a little to clear the fender.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts