Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my V Star 950, its my first crusier, and am looking to put the Vance&Hines pipes on. They sound a look amazing! :)

However i see on a lot of other brands(cobra ect) most rec. a power commander type deal along with exhaust.
Is is REALLY necessary to do both?

I was also looking into a hypercharger. Is it better than a K&N filter set-up, and will it also cause me to purchase some kind of power commander?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got my VStar 950 last year and put Cobra slash down pipes with power comander. In my opinion they look better than stock pipes, they sound great, and my bike has more HP. Glad I did it. Good luck with your 950...I love mine!

·
Registered
17 Posts
HP-how much?

Julie,
Do you notice more passing power with your new exhaust/power commander? Looking to do the same on my 950- maybe some samson exhaust, way longer pipes...

·
Registered
3 Posts
More HP!!

Yes. When they ran it on the Dyno after new pipes and power commander were installed I gained about 7 HP. I am much, much happier :) with the sound, performance and looks. I loved everything about the bike at first sight, except for the pipes. I had to wait a couple of months before my new pipes came in so I rode it stock for about 600 miles. I definately noticed a difference after the Cobras were installed. My husband got a Raider S the same day I got my 950. He has riden the 950 on occassion and thinks it's a lot of fun to ride. Good luck with what ever you decide on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes. When they ran it on the Dyno after new pipes and power commander were installed I gained about 7 HP. I am much, much happier :) with the sound, performance and looks. I loved everything about the bike at first sight, except for the pipes. I had to wait a couple of months before my new pipes came in so I rode it stock for about 600 miles. I definately noticed a difference after the Cobras were installed. My husband got a Raider S the same day I got my 950. He has riden the 950 on occassion and thinks it's a lot of fun to ride. Good luck with what ever you decide on.
Hey - I bought my bike with Cobra pipes and power commander. I like the sound of the pipes, but I hate the popping on deceleration. I always wonder if I am messing up the motor. I want to get my PC checked by Dyno and see if its running too lean. The heat was killing me, but my Hubby (bless his heart) took the heat covers off the pipes and wrapped them with heat tape. So I'll know the next time I ride if it helped.
D

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Popping

D
I don't think the popping is hurting the motor. It is unburned gas igniting in the exhaust. Some of this may be normal after opening up air and exhaust.

Be sure you do not have an exhaust leak and use regular gas are a couple things you can check.

Dave

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just curious...what kind of $$ did that cost you to put on new pipes, the power commander and installation?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts