Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Well that is a nice looking bike! If it has a stock seat... that 5.5 hours will seem like an eternity.... they dont call em ass torturing devices for nothing! Got a used Mustang seat from a forum member. Could not be happier with that purchase! Good Luck!
Also. Check the date code on the tires before heading out if riding that far. May want to consider a uhaul mc trailer if unsure about skills or bike.

Reactions: faffi

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
1,166 Posts
YES i had to shim the rear end on my 650custom. Not to difficult to do.
Not too difficult, but would not have been needed with a better design. I have owned more than 10 bikes with shaft drive, and neither of them ever needed shimming or special care when replacing the wheel. Only when the final drive had been taken off and put back on would it need realignment. But all that took was fitting the rear axle before tightening the nuts or bolt holding the final drive to the swingarm.

·
Registered
720 Posts
rofl
that and the low miles, like new condition is encouraging me to drive 5.5 hours to buy this and drive home
I've never rode a bike on the hwy that long before.. still pondering
Well that is a nice looking bike! If it has a stock seat... that 5.5 hours will seem like an eternity.... they dont call em ass torturing devices for nothing! Got a used Mustang seat from a forum member. Could not be happier with that purchase! Good Luck!
Also. Check the date code on the tires before heading out if riding that far. May want to consider a uhaul mc trailer if unsure about skills or bike.
Redbird58's advice on the tire date is spot on. If the tires are more than 5 years old, and based upon the mileage on the bike I'm guessing they are the OEM tires, do not ride it home. The tires will not be safe, especially for higher speeds. The trailer would be a much better idea.

As for long rides, if/when you decide to do that, bring lots of water with you and plan on stopping at least once per hour. You can read tips for long distance riding on the Iron Butt Association website.

Reactions: Redbird58

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not too difficult, but would not have been needed with a better design. I have owned more than 10 bikes with shaft drive, and neither of them ever needed shimming or special care when replacing the wheel. Only when the final drive had been taken off and put back on would it need realignment. But all that took was fitting the rear axle before tightening the nuts or bolt holding the final drive to the swingarm.
that the only i ever had to shim the rear was after removing wheel. Not every time but once. The other times i was able to manhandle it and force it into position

Yep with tht mileage i'm sure they are stock tires from 2012. Good point
i think i will just run my 650 til 100k and then sale it off for parts. Then i'll find something

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I would not let the tires chase me off. Couple hundred and the cost of the trailer rental if the deal is good its worth pursuing.

Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would not let the tires chase me off. Couple hundred and the cost of the trailer rental if the deal is good its worth pursuing.
I think i will ride my 650 til its old and then buy a newer/bigger bike.

He said tires are brand new

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Yep with tht mileage i'm sure they are stock tires from 2012. Good point
i think i will just run my 650 til 100k and then sale it off for parts. Then i'll find something
Uhaul trailer rentals are cheap: Uhaul

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
@Rats056 do you have any 1100 or 1300 that are close to you that you could take them for a spin? You may find if you ride highways the 950 is adequate for the highway speed but you may want a little more punch that an 1100 or 1300 or even the Roadie can give you...Just a thought...Typically stealerships dont require much other than a valid permit to take one out for a test drive....lookin is still free....I hope....Anyway...Good Luck whichever way you decide to go!

·
Registered
32 Posts
@Rats056 do you have any 1100 or 1300 that are close to you that you could take them for a spin? You may find if you ride highways the 950 is adequate for the highway speed but you may want a little more punch that an 1100 or 1300 or even the Roadie can give you...Just a thought...Typically stealerships dont require much other than a valid permit to take one out for a test drive....lookin is still free....I hope....Anyway...Good Luck whichever way you decide to go!
I dreamed of a 1300 for a while.. But i like the 950..
I really just need to run my 650 until 100k and sale it for parts or whatever. I'm retired and on budget. I dont need two bikes to deal with. I' just dreaming i suppose. My 650 is basically a 750(modified) and does great around town. Just a little better mileage or the same as the 950. The Strat you have looks like a 1300 Tourer on steroids. thats big

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 950T that I like and am currently riding. I did have belt problems at 26k miles. It started with some squeeling or whining when it was cold and it would go away after 5 miles or so of riding. It ended when I had both sprockets and the belt replaced. I don't do a lot of the work on my bikes, I work a lot of hours (12hr shift) at night.

I still like the 950T and usually ride around 10k a year. I guess I am fortunate in that I don't have an issue with the stock seat. I have ridden from NE Texas to East shore of Mobile Bay in one day on my way to Florida. I don't feel the need for a sixth gear, I am of the opinion the bike likes the higher rpms and when I ride with my club (B.A.C.A.) my little 950 has no trouble keeping up. Just my opinion but I like the bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 950T that I like and am currently riding. I did have belt problems at 26k miles. It started with some squeeling or whining when it was cold and it would go away after 5 miles or so of riding. It ended when I had both sprockets and the belt replaced. I don't do a lot of the work on my bikes, I work a lot of hours (12hr shift) at night.

I still like the 950T and usually ride around 10k a year. I guess I am fortunate in that I don't have an issue with the stock seat. I have ridden from NE Texas to East shore of Mobile Bay in one day on my way to Florida. I don't feel the need for a sixth gear, I am of the opinion the bike likes the higher rpms and when I ride with my club (B.A.C.A.) my little 950 has no trouble keeping up. Just my opinion but I like the bike.
I grew up donw in Mobile. I loved it there.
A lot has changed

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Hi, Guys,

Thanks for all the input for the 950 - it seems like a great bike - I've been looking and I find I'm a lot like Rats056 - retired - 75 years old and almost addicted to the 650.

Since April 2017 I've put 90,000 km (56,000 miles) on my 2015 CLassic and I'm looking forward to taking it to the 162000 km (100000 mile) mark - should get there in less than three years or so.

BTW - this is my first motorcycle and enjoying every mile eerrr km that is - If I were doing more highway riding I'd definitely go 950 or maybe 1300 - most of my riding is along country roads doing 100 kph (60mph) or less and the little 650 just shines here.

I've a friend who is a couple of years older that rides approx 50,000 km (30,000 miles) every year and is a dedicated HD road King - Street Glide rider who just recently bought a TriGlide - mostly because he finds it a little difficult with his wife on board - legs are getting a little weak - and that's definately not a problem with the 650.

Other than tires , brakes and oil changes, my only maintenance problem so far - had to replace the stator at the 40,000 km (24,000 mile) mark and that was a superceded Yamaha part number - muust have been a snag they fixed along the way.

The other thing I've done is change to Mobil 1 MX4T 10W30 oil that I change at 10,000 km (6000 miles) along with the oil filter - the reason for the extended time was the mileage Yamaha gave to the fliter change - every 12000 km (7000 miles) - and so far the engine is running strong - and I do at least three oil changes a year and our summer days never get over 35ºC (95ºF) and I don't get to drive in stop and go traffic where heat may become excessive - One big thing I noticed early - the engine ran a lot quiter than with dinasaur oil so I'm hoping less wear.

Would I buy again - you betcha 😀😀😀😀😀

Again - thanks for the info

·
Registered
2012 V-Star 950
45 Posts
@Rats056, I bought a 2012 950 recently. One owner, 12k miles. It was meticulously maintained. I was looking at 650s and 950s. I went with the 950 mainly because of the owner - how well he had maintained it. I also like the fender style a little better than the 650 custom or classic. If you already have a 650 that you like, you are right, you might as well keep it and get a better bike when it takes its last ride to bike heaven. In the mean time, do test drive bikes so that you like the way they feel. Try a v-star 1700 too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
BTW - this is my first motorcycle and enjoying every mile eerrr km that is - If I were doing more highway riding I'd definitely go 950 or maybe 1300 - most of my riding is along country roads doing 100 kph (60mph) or less and the little 650 just shines here.

Other than tires , brakes and oil changes, my only maintenance problem so far - had to replace the stator at the 40,000 km (24,000 mile) mark and that was a superceded Yamaha part number - muust have been a snag they fixed along the way.

The other thing I've done is change to Mobil 1 MX4T 10W30 oil that I change at 10,000 km (6000 miles) along with the oil filter - the reason for the extended time was the mileage Yamaha gave to the fliter change - every 12000 km (7000 miles) - and so far the engine is running strong - and I do at least three oil changes a year and our summer days never get over 35ºC (95ºF) and I don't get to drive in stop and go traffic where heat may become excessive - One big thing I noticed early - the engine ran a lot quiter than with dinasaur oil so I'm hoping less wear.
I just crave a bigger bike but still enjoy my Custom 650, i dont need to maintain two bikes.. I get 52mpg around city and backroads. 60+ on hwy. I modified it to get bettter miles and HP. It runs neck to neck with Honda 750s. Simple mods to make.
I had to replace my stator but at about 45k. Fortunately i have a mechanical son. He helpd me with that fix..
I need to do a Valve adjustment now. I try to run Half Synth. I heard Full synth will make clutch slip on the 650.
I ride llike you. And stay off the 4 or 5 lane roads mostly. I almost got run over when two cars collided near me a few weeks ago. They drive like fools with phones in hand all day long. I love those smooth 2 lane country roads with less traffic.

Ride safe!

@Rats056, I bought a 2012 950 recently. One owner, 12k miles. It was meticulously maintained. I was looking at 650s and 950s. I went with the 950 mainly because of the owner - how well he had maintained it. I also like the fender style a little better than the 650 custom or classic. If you already have a 650 that you like, you are right, you might as well keep it and get a better bike when it takes its last ride to bike heaven. In the mean time, do test drive bikes so that you like the way they feel. Try a v-star 1700 too.
I'm getting older .I dont know if i can handle 1700. Being on a budget i like the 200 miles per tank bike like 650 and 950.
I really like some 1300 Tourers but the mileage drops. If i ever find a female rider i will need the 950 or 1300.
My EX has tried to come back for years but i refused. I'd rather be alone than with a nutter

·
Registered
2012 V-Star 950
45 Posts
The 1700 will not feel super different from your 650 in handling. You will find it more comfortable at 70+mph. If the majority of the driving you do is on side roads, the 650 will be less tiring.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The 1700 will not feel super different from your 650 in handling. You will find it more comfortable at 70+mph. If the majority of the driving you do is on side roads, the 650 will be less tiring.
right. I dont get up to 70 often.. And dont get on freeways much. I might if i had a good female on back.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts