Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '09 Vstar I bought now in 2011. It has been a great bike. Took it to New Orleans last year and that's when the problem started. Pulled in and filled up with fuel. Hit the starter button and it was half crank, and then nothing. After a minute or two it would go ahead and turn over and start. I put a brand new Interstate battery in it this spring. It is getting to the point where I am having to push start it every time. The starter sounds odd when it works. I haven't had the new battery checked, but not sure this is the problem. It runs perfectly fine otherwise with no indication that the charging system isn't working. No check engine lights, either. Any pointers would be appreciated! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Test the battery first. The next thing is make sure there is little to no voltage drop to the starter. If all that is good make sure you are getting a full 12v signal on the small wire on the starter. If that is good replace the starter. Good luck.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If it's like mine, try starting it only in neutral vs holding in the clutch. Mine struggles and half the time won't start with the clutch held in, but in natural it has no issues at all.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Battery connections battery connections..... 9 times out of ten over the years this question always pops up ans it turns out that the batter connections are loose. They loosen up on their own. Have had it happen on my 950 and 1300.

It takes a good tight connection to deliver the high amperage current required by the starter, lower current items will usually work fine with looser connections. Those connections need to be checked several times a season

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
"Battery connections battery connections"

ditto - and dont forget where the black battery wire attaches to the frame (where you cant see it) and where the wires attach to the starter.

If they look corroded take them off and introduce them to Mr Dremil and Ms Sanding Drum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts