Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ok,I'll start . I just picked up a 1300 and took it for two short test drives before bringing in for safety certificate on Mon. I'm coming from a 650, which I absolutely LOVE! But... two kilometres down the road , and I've all but forgotten about said 650. Was like going from a Carolla to a Cadillac . I can't believe the difference of the 950 and 1300 will be that great, but I'm interested in what those who've rode both will say.

·
Super Moderator
6,367 Posts
Wife and I each ride a 950, hers is the base model, mine the tourer model.
Test drove a 2016 1300 at a Yamaha Demo Days and I was impressed. The handling was better with the 1300, the brakes were superb, and the extra grunt from the larger engine was noticeable. I actually was expecting the 1300 to feel considerably heavier, but it wasn’t. When I decide to upgrade, I’m definitely looking to go with a 1300. Oddly enough, many of the aftermarket upgrades that fit a 950 also fit a 1300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,367 Posts
Yes sir, you’re very welcome. I’m in no way a pro in bike comparisons, yet I’m experienced enough notice and feel differences in the way a bike handles, it’s braking, and it’s true ‘seat of the pants’ performance. I’m hoping that someway, somehow, I’ll be able to upgrade next year.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The only thing I don’t like about the later 1300s is the shift lever. Too short for me compared to the 950. I’d have to replace it with a longer one or one from a Roadstar. There isn’t a lot of difference besides the power otherwise. I’ve stopped looking to upgrade to 1300s and went ahead and found a Stratoliner S. That’s the 1900. Not enough difference for me to have both a 950 and 1300.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I am assuming that that the 950 has about the same power as the 1100. To me anything from 950- infinity and beyond is plenty. I had an 1800 that was a real waste of hp (105) that i never used. I am a "classic cruiser." To me it wasn't worth dealing with over 800 lbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts