Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am shopping for a new bike and like both the V-Star 950 and 1300. I could really use some help in picking which one will be better for me.

I like the looks of the 950 and every thing I have read about them has been good.

I dont like the look of the 1300 as much but I do like that it has duel front disk brakes and is liquid cooled.

I am a bigger guy and will have a passenger with me when I do a multi state tour in 2013. The rest of the time I will be doing city, highway, and country road riding but short distances for the most part.

Can anyone give me some help on figuring out what bike would be better for me?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See my response to your "New Member" thread. :)
Thanks Ten I did see your post and I appreciate the advice. But I was really hope that some riders that have these bikes could tell me why they like theres and picked the one they did.

The bikes about the same length and there isnt that huge of a difference in power and weight (942-cc 613 Lb 950) and (1304-cc 712 Lb 1300) Making the difference of 362 ccs but also 99lbs . The 950 is a litte lower and I like that b/c my girl who might ride it from time to time with out me is only 5ft. How ever I have heard complants of the foot board scrapping on turns b/c of it being low.

The 1300 is a little bit more of a bike but I am just not sure if it is more enough to make it worth it you know?

·
Registered
821 Posts
The 950 will take what you dish out. You just have to equip it properly. Crash bars and highway pegs, Drivers backrest, ISO grips, and get used to the stock seat or buy an after market one.
Mine seems to have all the power I need. She'll quickly climb to 70 - 80 mph and run like that down the interstate very comfortably, and still has plenty of power to pass a semi or whatever. I'm not big, and my wife is tiny so it's just right for us. I don't know how it would be someone big. See if they'll let you test ride them. Hope this helps a little. Good luck. And welcome!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Initially, my choice of the 1300 came down to liquid cooling and price. In the Phoenix area I felt liquid-cooled was a must for our summers. And in 7/2010 I could get a new '09 1300 cheaper than either a new '09 950 or 1100, much less the 2010's. I had returned to riding after a 25+ year hiatus and first got a 650R Ninja. But after my last back surgeries I (mistakenly) thought a cruiser would work better for my back, hence the new 1300.

For the size of the bike I find that it is surprisingly agile. A sport bike by no means, but it does handle well. Power is more than adequate for your intended needs. I am at 240 lbs. and performance is pretty strong, having done the airbox mod and adding a slip-on exhaust. Mine is currently set up for solo riding at this time. I think you will find the higher stock hp./torque of the 1300 to be a benefit for two-up travels.

One concern I do have about the 1300 vs. the 950 or 1100 though is the availibility of aftermarket "stuff". While you can get most of the things one may often add-on to the bike (seats, bags, bars, racks, etc.) the variety is often lacking. Though a newer design/model the 950 seems to have a larger selection of accessories out there.

Another downside of the 1300 may be insurance costs. It may be cheaper to insure the 950 than the 1300. Some companies don't seem to regard the fact that it is a fairly heavy slow cruiser- they just look at that 1300cc number and think high output speed demon bike.

From your description of your intended use of the bike, I think you would be very happy with the 1300.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'd also suggest seeing if you can still find left-over Strats or Roadies. That's a whole hell of a lot of bike for little money if you can find the new-old-stock.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Have you looked at the bigger star bikes? Roadstar or LIners? More power,rides smoother and handles just as good if not better.Just a thought. Now if your stuck on the 2 smaller bikes then I would go with the 1300.More power for two up riding but yet still nimble for the solo rides through town. My strat maybe big but it handles like a sport bike.Just my 2.379 cents worth.Good luck with your choice and keep in mind that no matter what one you buy you're gonna get an awesome scoot.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Heh, I came from a bike that was exceedingly nimble to the Strat. The Strat does not handle like a sportbike. :D It does how handle really, really well for a big bike. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not sure if I wanna go any bigger for a few reasons.
Most of the time I will not need the bigger bike my girl is getter her own she only ride with me on long trips.
I am 25 so I think the insurance will kill me on a big bike and just the up front cost as well.
I will be doing a lot of "Big City riding if I take the bike to cleveland for work and want something nimble to get around with.
I think that the 96 inches will be long enough :) (Thats what she said)

·
Registered
672 Posts
When was the last time you were in Downtown Cleveland? It's like a ghost-town. You won't be needing a Motard. lol :D

·
Administrator
13,286 Posts
Thanks Ten I did see your post and I appreciate the advice. But I was really hope that some riders that have these bikes could tell me why they like theres and picked the one they did.
i picked mine because it was my first street bike and i didn't want something too big for a first bike. plus the modern styling of the 950 made it look more unique and aesthetic than any other model. bonuses were electronic fuel injection, low seat height, the black cast iron wheels, and price.

after getting it, i've learned that it has all the power i need. i've taken it halfway across the country doing 95mph most of the way. it's my daily rider, my long distance tourer, and my showroom bike all in one. there is a ton of stuff you can do to customize it despite not as many people doing aftermarket parts and accessories for it. most people are marked by how light and nimble it feels when they sit on it. it's my first bike but i plan on riding it until one of us dies.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I am shopping for a new bike and like both the V-Star 950 and 1300. I could really use some help in picking which one will be better for me.

I like the looks of the 950 and every thing I have read about them has been good.

I dont like the look of the 1300 as much but I do like that it has duel front disk brakes and is liquid cooled.

I am a bigger guy and will have a passenger with me when I do a multi state tour in 2013. The rest of the time I will be doing city, highway, and country road riding but short distances for the most part.

Can anyone give me some help on figuring out what bike would be better for me?
1. I think you answered your own question, in a way. Just the fact that you have some doubt should tell you the 1300 is better suited for you and I agree.
2. Your a bigger person, you will also be doing a fair amount of rural - city driving and most of all a multi state road trip? Lots of interstate and you will be quite comfortable.
3. Your concerned about heat, the 1300 has that under control hands down, even more so, loaded with gear and being in a hot climate. Liquid cooling will take care of you.
4. You also will be doing city driving? No problem, the 1300 handles a like a dream compared to some other bikes with that size engine or larger.
5. The 1300 feels like a lighter bike then it is, however, whether or not its lite enough for your girlfriend or whoever else you intend on letting ride it, well, cant help you with that one.
6. Either bike you cant go wrong, 950? GREAT BIKE, I was just offering this based on what you wrote. You like the looks of the 950 better "BUT" ... you then go on to say you are a heaver person, do country, rural and city driving, planning a multistate road trip? Something most bikers never see the light of day on. Then if you do that multi state trip you may decide to do more of the bike is up to the task and why, based on what you say I would suggest more power. The 1300 is right in-between all the recommendations in here.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Go BIG my BIG man

I would strongly suggest you take a good look at a Stratoliner. if you are a big guy and your wife is anything like mine the Stratoliner is the only way to go. it is a very long bike which makes for plenty of room and you will definitely be glad you got one as soon as you are going up hill, 2 up, fully loaded. it will haul you and all your gear plus the ol'lady anywhere you want and you will never be lacking the power to pass as needed. Believe me i have one and i would find it very, very hard to ever go back to a lesser/smaller bike. i got mine as a 2 yr old warehouse bike with zero miles for 10,900 - 11,700 out the door. saved about 5 grand. if you can swing it i would suggest the Strat Deluxe but the Stratoliner S that i have, is a great bike as it is. it hauls everything i need in the bags and i can also carry stuff on the cargo rack. My wife has a V-star 650 and it is a pooch compared to my bike. i am constantly waiting for her to catch up and that is when i am driving very easy. if i drive like normal i would never see her. another good reason to get the Stratoliner.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm not going to tell you what you should get, but rather provide my personal information...

1.) I chose the 950 because it is my first bike. I didn't want to get too much bike to start off with.
2.) I am 6'3" 245lbs and it hauls me and my 115lbs wife just fine doing all of the riding you mentioned (city, country road, interstate/highway).
3.) I LOVE the styling of my Tommy Blue 950
4.) I got mine (0 miles) for $5800 out the door, much cheaper than anything else. I've slowly added a sissy bar and windshield.
5.) My insurance is $280 a year (25, married, good credit) through Progressive.
6.) It has all the power I need/want. Very torque-y for around town, plenty of power on the interstate, but wish it did have a 6th gear for riding at 75MPH. The power is there, but high RPM
7.) That all said, I don't think you would go wrong if you chose the 1300. I figure I will be looking to upgrade to a bigger bike in a few years, but I have been extremely happy with mine. I feel like I got a lot of bike for the money. Don't regret it one bit...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts