Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I found out something interesting yesterday afternoon. First, I know that exceeding the speed limit is illegal and potentially dangerous but...

I attend class with an older fella who rides a 2011 Victory Cross Country and we usually leave campus together. Being as that I recently purchased my Star and this fella being curious about it's capabilities I was expecting that at some point he would want to see what it could do. We happened to stop at the front of the line at a light and while he didn't look over and say, "Hey, wanna race?", I sorta figured he would juice it and hope I did too.

So, as we start pulling away from the light he gets to where his rear wheel is just in front of my front and hammers it. I suspected he would so I was ready to roll-on hard as well. We were in first gear and moving about 5 miles an hour when the "race" began. We both worked up to 4th gear before we had to start slowing down for the next light but.....

To my surprise, this fella and his Victory never pulled more than a bike & 1/2's length ahead of me. Judging by the sound of his exhaust and the time between shifts I surmise he was giving it all he had, as was I. He didn't say anything when we stopped again but I can't imagine he wasn't surprised at how quick a bike with half the engine displacement and power of his could keep up with him.

We are both somewhat large people, I'm 5'9" and 230lbs and he's about the same height but maybe 20lbs lighter. His Victory has the infamous 106ci Freedom V-twin but his bike is about 800 or so pounds whereas my 950 is about 650lbs. It was rather surprising to me that the extra weight could make that much of a difference in acceleration.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my little story of immaturity and recklessness. Oh, and my good time in being those things. ;)

Comments or criticisms are welcome, I suppose.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ya, I know we're not supposed to but, can't tell you how many times I've done the same thing. Not always with bikes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, I know we're not supposed to but, can't tell you how many times I've done the same thing. Not always with bikes.
I'm sure most of us who ride have done our share of speeding and such but, every now and then people like to chastise those who admit it.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
No way of knowing till you see him again and ask. Roughly twice the displacement for only an extra 150'ish lbs. And whatever differences 1,2 gears are.

Our 950s will scoot though, I'm happy with the power.

·
Registered
845 Posts
A large cruiser is not for anyone who is interested in pulling off the line super fast, they have sport bikes for that for 50% less money that can pull away faster.
However if you want a rock solid ride at true gps, notice I say true GPS speeds, (metric bike speedometers are famous for exaggerating speed, to compensate for lack of 6th gear) speeds 70 to 85 MPH for hours at a time or cruise long trips without getting blown all over the road, no matter the wind and road conditions or how many tractor trailers you pass the Victory will blow the others away.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't know about getting blown all over the place but for long distance riding 80mph or more is not what the 950 was meant for sadly. The Victory surely shines in that aspect.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well, considering a 950 is around 50 hp and 60 torque and a stock XC is 90 hp and 100 torque. Weight does make a difference but it would need to be much more than what it was. If you are ever in MN you can try against my XC :) Cams are being put in now, should run 115/115.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting, but, reality is that stock the Victory is nearly 2 seconds quicker in the quarter. But, what happens between stop lights isn't always as cut and dry.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/articles/2015_01PerfIndex.pdf
I'm very sure that in the 1/4 mile he would have pulled away more than he did, our little "race" was more akin the the 1/8 mile.

you're assuming he was giving as much throttle as you...
Yes, and he may very well not have been.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No way of knowing till you see him again and ask. Roughly twice the displacement for only an extra 150'ish lbs. And whatever differences 1,2 gears are.

Our 950s will scoot though, I'm happy with the power.
Yeah, I'm sure that he would have pulled away if we were able to go up to 5th. He has 6 gears so of course he would have a higher top speed.

Well, considering a 950 is around 50 hp and 60 torque and a stock XC is 90 hp and 100 torque. Weight does make a difference but it would need to be much more than what it was. If you are ever in MN you can try against my XC :) Cams are being put in now, should run 115/115.
No thanks, lol. I know the limitations of my little 950.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I should make clear that I'm in no way saying that a Star 950 is faster than an XC (as I see it's called). I made clear to note that he was ahead of me the entire time and that I was not at any point pulling on him. I was just illustrating that in a very short distance that the extra power provided by the larger bike MAY not be substantial enough to "blow away" something smaller, in this case a Star 950.

I have also done such "races" with him using my SV650 and I can tell you that in our specific circumstances, my SV was actually quicker. I have modifications on my SV and it has been Dyno'd at 80hp and 52lb-ft of torque. Then again, these results are probably NOT typical.

Again, I'm not saying that my wee-little 950 is any sort of a hot rod or that an XC is a slouch because I'm smart enough to know that neither are either of those things.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The 0-60 time of the Cross Country is also almost 2 seconds faster than the 950. It is what it is. It was fun, I'm sure. Anything can happen at a stop light derby. No one's putting you down for enjoying it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I should make clear that I'm in no way saying that a Star 950 is faster than an XC (as I see it's called). I made clear to note that he was ahead of me the entire time and that I was not at any point pulling on him. I was just illustrating that in a very short distance that the extra power provided by the larger bike MAY not be substantial enough to "blow away" something smaller, in this case a Star 950.
Yep. All's good and fun.

However, the nice thing about driving my XC vs my 650 is when I am driving with my friend on his Honda 919 I can kinda keep up, kinda :)

You actually might keep up with me because popping the clutch on such a big bike is scary. Especially if the rear end starts to fish tale.

I haven't seen a dyno of a 950. The dyno of an XC though, HP keeps climbing while torque is dead flat. Exactly what you want if you are hauling a lot of gear. Torque at any rpm to haul whatever you are hauling.

Every bike is marketed for a different crown depending on what people want. I got my XC to have a good long haul bike. I want to get into more motorcycle camping so something that can haul a trailer was important. I love my 650, perfect city bike and every day commuter.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Why is it that somebody always has to burst your bubble? Well, I believe you kicked that guys ass and that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well Gunner, as I see it YOU had fun with/on your bike. Isn't that what it's all about? You had enough fun and such a rush that you wanted to post it here. To me, THAT'S the bottom line. That's the reason we all ride. Whether you would have beat him or not is not the point. The point is YOU enjoyed it my man. Ride safe and post often. May you enjoy many more (s)miles on that bike.:D:D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 0-60 time of the Cross Country is also almost 2 seconds faster than the 950. It is what it is. It was fun, I'm sure. Anything can happen at a stop light derby. No one's putting you down for enjoying it.
I suppose I should tell him, "you're doing it wrong" then, lol. IDk, maybe he was taking it easy on me or had some tire slippage.

Yep. All's good and fun.

However, the nice thing about driving my XC vs my 650 is when I am driving with my friend on his Honda 919 I can kinda keep up, kinda :)

You actually might keep up with me because popping the clutch on such a big bike is scary. Especially if the rear end starts to fish tale.

I haven't seen a dyno of a 950. The dyno of an XC though, HP keeps climbing while torque is dead flat. Exactly what you want if you are hauling a lot of gear. Torque at any rpm to haul whatever you are hauling.

Every bike is marketed for a different crown depending on what people want. I got my XC to have a good long haul bike. I want to get into more motorcycle camping so something that can haul a trailer was important. I love my 650, perfect city bike and every day commuter.
I rode a Honda 919 years ago, great bike for it's purposes. The Dyno's of the 950 are moderate, somewhere around 50hp and 55lb-ft of torque. Enough to be fun but not overpowering.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well Gunner, as I see it YOU had fun with/on your bike. Isn't that what it's all about? You had enough fun and such a rush that you wanted to post it here. To me, THAT'S the bottom line. That's the reason we all ride. Whether you would have beat him or not is not the point. The point is YOU enjoyed it my man. Ride safe and post often. May you enjoy many more (s)miles on that bike.:D:D
I appreciate it, Postmaster. Maybe I should make my 950 a sleeper and add a hi-flow filter, get a proper tune and throw in some hotter cams, eh? Speaking of which, has anybody ever done a cam swap on a 950?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts