Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got an 06 V-Star Classic with several mods. but everything was great about this bike until it did not want to start. Took it to the local yamaha shop and found that my 1 way gear went out. Well, almost 6 weeks later, the bike was finally done. Went to pick it up and they tell me there is a problem. the front cyl is not firing at idle but kicks in when you give it some gas. they say they need to clean the carb. another few days and I get my bike back and it runs good it just sounds way different. I don't get the V twin rumble coming from the V&H pipes anymore it sounds more like my quad (kind of popping noise) although not a back fire just a pop pop pop. Also noticed that my speedo is all over the place now. it bounces from 20 to 40 to 15 etc. sometimes it settles down some but it bounces around enough that I don't ever know what speed I'm at, and the bad part is my odometer seem to be tracking with it as sometimes I only get 75mi on my main tank and sometimes I can get 135mi before I hit reserve.
Could my problem be carbs out of sync, timing got changed during the gear install, and or a loose wire/connection with the speedo?
I would really love to get that sound back and know when to fill up again.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'd take it back to the shop and give them the opportunity to fix it right. The starter clutch is no more than a 4 hour job at best...taking 6 weeks to do it is unacceptable. Not knowing what they did or being able to see the bike the popping could be anything from improper re-assembly so that the timing is off or many other things....the speedo I have no idea. I don't know what all they did to the bike.

If they don't fix it right, take it to a reputable shop and have it diagnosed. Then give the first shop one more chance to do it right....and if that doesn't work, call the State Attorney General.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I believe I would take it to another shop first and get a second opinion. Then take the bike to them with a estimate on whatever is wrong and see what they say about it. Problem is being that it wouldn't start for them you can't prove to them that it was running well before they touched it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts