Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Getting some great information on here. Thanks for all the help.

Next question for you is what is in your bags? (assuming you have them).

Trying to think about anything cool, fun, helpful or especially emergency related that you think are good to have.

Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hmmm let's see I have an extra pair of glasses for the wife and I, kick stand pad, registration and insurance papers, first aid kit, bungee cords and net, gloves for each, rain gear if the need could arise, jackets for the cool ride back just in case.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Small first aid kit with a spare bike key tucked inside, gloves, glasses, cargo net with bungees, ball cap, couple of rags, few extra tools, chaps, pad lock and one of those bike cable locks. Not much room for anything else, whereas my Goldwing can carry a whole lot more.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My wife got some nylon satchels or shoulder bags from a vendor. They fit perfectly in the saddlebags. They are perfect for stashing gear or clothing. I've got rain gear in one now. If I need to I can strap one or more on the luggage rack and leave room in the saddlebag.

·
Registered
72 Posts
For everyday riding:registration and insurance papers, clear glasses, bungees, the liner for my jacket, a baseball cap, phone charger.
For longer trips, all the above plus cold weather gloves, rain jacket, water bottle, tool kit.
My wife claims one bag...I don't know what's in it but it's always full!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Registration and insurance card. Jacket liner now that's its starting to cool off. Pair of clear safety glasses. Rag and quick wax (no I don't clean it on a ride its just convenient place to keep it):D
And a drink of some kind, water, Gatorade etc.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Think I found a glitch with iOS 8 lol. One more try. Gloves papers trash bag rain coats sun screen knife flash light few extra bucks just in case and as long as I'm riding not in somewhere my glock.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Right: Towel, bungees, mini air-compressor with tire patch tools, rain gear, jacket, gloves.
Left: Spare gallon of fuel, documents, spare 1/2 helmet, & 1 qt oil.
Everything (except my documents and rain gear) have been used to help other riders or motorists over the years.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the ideas - keep 'em coming!

A few clarifications:

1. For those who carry tools, what tools would you say are essential to pack? The original one, or additional stuff?

2. Willajabir - what do you store the fuel in to feel sure it won't leak, and does it stink up everything else in the bag?

3. Jaymann - I guess you should be grateful she left you at least one bag! :)

4. Skyking897 - I got two keys with my bike. Obviously one would be in my pocket. I feel like I would not want to put my only other key in the bag for some reason. If I wanted a third key, can you copy an ignition key for a bike anywhere, or do you have to order one?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Original + small ratchet set. Wire cutters and bailing wire. One-half of one-quart of oil. Also keep in plugs for phone and GPS charging, small bungie cords and bungie net, flashlight and rain gear. That's just the one bag. Other is for laptop and lunch and non-driving eyeglasses (in case).

·
Registered
166 Posts
I always keep an extra set of gloves (cold, warm, and hot), bandanas/"head wraps", bungie cords/net, pad lock, knife, maps, air pressure gauge, sunglasses/clear glasses, zip ties, registration, water, jacket liner, rags, extra cash, charging cords, gum, and some tools(original + allen wrenches and some sockets). On longer rides I bring a book and extra clothes in case I end up having to stay the night somewhere. Also, an extra visor for my helmet if I have it.

I plan on getting a tire repair kit and a small medical kit.

·
Registered
19 Posts

2. Willajabir - what do you store the fuel in to feel sure it won't leak, and does it stink up everything else in the bag?
I tried the 1 gallon from Wally World but, yes it leaks and smells. So I tried the Reda can. It is great. Tight. I only put about 3/4 gallon so when it gets hot, there isn't any leakage. You WILL get gas on your hands when you remove the cap to turn the spout up. It was about $30 when I ordered it, but after I got it, I see why. Thick sides and strong. It was made to fit the HD bags, but fits ok in the V-Star. I have to tilt it just a little to keep from hitting the ridge on the lid when I close it.

·
Registered
207 Posts

A few clarifications:

1. For those who carry tools, what tools would you say are essential to pack? The original one, or additional stuff?

I carry the OEM tool pouch in the stock location but have in the bag a set of stubby metric wrenchs, one of those multi bit screwdrivers, electrical tape, ass't. fuses and some zip ties. Also have a couple of rags and those wet towels in a pouch to clean up after a repair. If I need more tools than that I'll get the bike towed.

4. Skyking897 - I got two keys with my bike. Obviously one would be in my pocket. I feel like I would not want to put my only other key in the bag for some reason. If I wanted a third key, can you copy an ignition key for a bike anywhere, or do you have to order one?
If I was to rely on carrying an extra key in my pocket, I'd probably forget after a few rides and be SOL if I ever needed the spare key. I looked at several hiding spots on the bike and I'm always afraid those magnetic key boxes will fall off so I settled on wrapping it in some gauze in the first aid kit. Don't believe it to be too obvious of a hiding spot. I tried the usual hardware stores to get an extra key cut but they didn't carry the Yamaha blank and I ended up at a locksmith to get a key cut. If I remember right it was under $10.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, I didn't word that very well. I wouldn't carry the spare key in my pocket. I meant that I would have the main key I am using in my pocket.

Good musician, bad writer! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts