Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Guys,

Would I benefit from a set of risers or does my arm position look ok - I can ride three hours without stopping but wonder if the forearms should be closer to horizontal and the upper arm a bit more vertical - or maybe way too much over thinking on a heavily rainy day.

·
2,512 Posts
I like to lean back a little and have my arms slightly bent so risers made it more comfortable for me. I find the same situation on my new bike so I'll be adding a set to it too. But it's all a matter of preference. It doesn't look like you're stretching to reach the bars and if you're comfortable, then you should be fine. It might be one of those things you have to try though. That's why I bought a set of $30 risers from China instead of spending hundreds on something I wasn't sure I'd like.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's why I bought a set of $30 risers from China ...
Coming from a dirt riding background that is one of the biggest no no's. The risers are all that connects you hand controls to the bike. The cheap China stuff is low quality alloy that snaps easy, def not nearly as big an issue on a cruiser as compared to a dirt bike but I wouldn't trust them personally ...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just ordered a set from Walmart Canada - it wasn't that much more than the Chinese stuff from eBay - but in all probability they're the same thing supplied by someone in the US or here.

And Duke I understand your reservations - you can add a lot of leverage with just an extra of couple of inches in height - I'll have a look at them when they arrive and hopefully they're not a cast aluminum like the clamps for the footpegs on the highway bars - Did you get your foot extensions yet??? Mine make the bike absolutely more comfortable than a big sedan.

·
2,512 Posts
The ones I got are definitely not cast aluminum. They are very heavy and I'm not worried about them breaking. I do see your point about dirt riding, though. That puts a lot more stress on them than a cruiser would.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I haven't ordered the extended controls yet. I ordered a Mustang seat first and then next will be some crash bars with highway foot rests, those are the two most pressing items for me, then extended controls to follow :)

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,474 Posts

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
When I got my Royal Star last fall the previous owner had the grips a bit higher than I was use to. I rode the bike like it was, then started playing around with the position.

the handlebars on the stock Royal Star are a good 10" from the triple tree center to the grips. I pulled them down lower for a few days, kept looking at photos of RS bikes on google -they were all over the place from nearly touching the tank to being straight up.

I thought maybe they are suppose to be in line with the angle of the fork - maybe that puts the grips in the center of rotation, so I tried that. They were like mini ape hangers pushed that far forward.

I rode to work the next day and 3 miles down the road both hands were completely numb. I was sitting up straight and comfortable, had a good grip and good control over the bike, but with my hands just that little bit higher I was riding shaking one hand, then the other, to keep the blood flowing, the entire 30 minute ride to work. During lunch I put them back where they are in the garage photos.

The takeaway here: before you spend a lot of money for risers and cable extenders and taller handlebars maybe crank the ones you have up as high as you can. Sometimes the effect is unexpected.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, guys.

I'll just rotate the bars tomorrow - I did order the risers from my favorite motorcycle shop - Walmart. If they're unnecessary it's easy to return them.

Les - That's a good tutorial page - it looks like I ordered similar as yours but only with a 3.5" rise and 1.5" pull back - so hopefully will get away with no cable moves - I'll keep every one posted and may just add to the page you and Northernrider already have - keeps everything in one place for future reference.

·
2,512 Posts
Mine are 4.5" and I did have to reroute some cables but I didn't have to replace any. You should be good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was thinking of risers on my 2014 stratoliner that I picked up in august. I check a couple infos and stoped by Fun Center Bensalem Pa and purchased risers there. paid the money and said if I have a problem they can help. Specs r important on fit. electronics also. installed them, taking my time. lock on nuts and checked for no interference. adjust cables. And test ride. Supper job, and enjoyed the feel. I think bikes r sometimes made for the longest reach. not like clothes. pic a size. SO adjust bike to fit.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yep. that's my take also but with my very limited experience - asked a bunch of high time old riders what they do - whatever it takes to make the bike fit and if it doesn't fit sell it no matter how nice it looks sitting in the driveway cause that's where it'll sit.

Just finished fitting foot pegs to the crash bar - after riding today for three hours found I was pushing my feet forward and outward on the floor boards even with the forward controls - the way they fit now would have been very nice to have today - the saga continues tomorrow.

·
Registered
52 Posts
IMHO, I prefer the bars lower than shoulder height, just to keep the blood from draining out of my arms as long as possible. Without a cruise control, you will still get numb hands eventually. But the higher the bars, the faster your hands will go numb. Just ask riders with Ape Hangers, how long they can ride without a break.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the info. ill keep it in mind. I had a Harley for yrs, my hands always went numb. bought stratoliner in Shawnee OK, and rode it home 1400 miles, never had numb hands like on Harley. Had 750 kaw. before and no problem there.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm just planning on raising the standard bar height about two inches and about 1.5" to the rear - hands should be somewhere about mid way between the waist and chest with the elbows slightly above the forearms - and if that doesn't work back to the original risers.

·
2,512 Posts
I think my wife wants floor board, not pegs, she ask me about it. keep her happy.
My wife wanted me to put a set of boards on the 1100 but now that she's tried them on the Nomad she actually says she prefers the pegs. I think it's because she'd hook her heels and lift up for bumps. With the better suspension on the new bike that's not the case anymore so it's just going to take her some getting used to. Just something to think about.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,474 Posts
I'm just planning on raising the standard bar height about two inches and about 1.5" to the rear - hands should be somewhere about mid way between the waist and chest with the elbows slightly above the forearms - and if that doesn't work back to the original risers.
When I installed my risers it took a while to adjust for my liking. My risers took an allen wrench to loosen and tighten which I kept with me. Road to work the next morning, work was 26 miles away. The reach was OK but not 100%. I had put a small piece of blue painters tape on bars next to risers to mark handlebar position. I moved them a little away from me on way home. Didn't like that. Moved them back the other direction a little the next day. I marked the tape each time I moved them with a line. I would put a X if I didn't like it and a √ if I did. Took me about a week but found the sweet spot without back, shoulder or wrist pain. You will find the right position with time, it just takes a little time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts