Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a full service done on my V-Star 650 last weekend (fluids, filters, valve adjustment check, etc). Everything seemed great although I don't think we held the throttle open like this at the time. Yesterday I went out to install a K&N filter and thought I'd get some "before" footage to compare to "after" and I noticed this issue. The engine surges / pulses at medium to full throttle. See the linked video.

Any ideas before I call the mechanic back? I'm a new rider and not at all a mechanic, got the bike a few weeks ago and have put maybe 1K miles on it so far. This is definitely something it wasn't doing prior to the service.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'd just call the guy the worked on it. Save yourself some time and give him a chance to fix it....or at least get you headed in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
In the video you said it does it at full throttle. If in fact you are at WOT then its the rev limiter as mentioned above. With out any load on the engine it would easily over rev and blow without the limiter. I'm no mechanic but personally I would never hold any engine wide open with no load on it. It can't be good for it. If it rides and perform well otherwise I wouldn't worry about.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the video you said it does it at full throttle. If in fact you are at WOT then its the rev limiter as mentioned above. With out any load on the engine it would easily over rev and blow without the limiter. I'm no mechanic but personally I would never hold any engine wide open with no load on it. It can't be good for it. If it rides and perform well otherwise I wouldn't worry about.
That makes sense. Thanks!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Glad it worked out! I know the rev. limiter is there to protect the engine but I'd still refrain from doing that. We were in a huge parade with about 6k bikes at our annual bike rally and there's a bridge we all go under that everyone revs it. We could all hear a cruiser type bike hitting the rev limiter and next you hear a loud "metally" pop! and then a lot of smoke......rut row!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
attack. Took the bike out for an hour or so this evening and it was flawless.
The next thing that will get you is the fuel cutoff. Have a look/see if it's on run or res? You don't wont to be on the side of the road with no gas.:D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
We could all hear a cruiser type bike hitting the rev limiter and next you hear a loud "metally" pop! and then a lot of smoke......rut row!
OUCH :eek:

To my knowledge the only thing that can handle that kind of "no load" RPMs are the old 2 stroke PWC engines. The connecting rods are one piece and pressed onto the crank so you don't have to worry about the bolts breaking off. Plus a 4 stroke has soooo many more moving parts. Spinning one that fast with no load is just asking to break something in my opinion.

Glad it seems all is well with your ride! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts