Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looing at the different stock exhaust mods out there.
Right now the exhaust on my "new-to-me" 02 classic has some sort of half-ass mod.
Can anyone tell what's been done to them:

I'm guessing that I'm looking at the rear cone/baffle removed, the main exhaust pipe still hanging there with the 2nd baffle behind??

Any suggestion on what is best to do to these now?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Haven't done an exhaust mod myself. Mine were chopped when I got mine and I put Cobras on. Here's the Info from the KB. Mine had the rear cone cut off and the pipe gutted completely. Just the headpipe dumping into a 3" open collector. You could hear me for miles.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/VStar1100-FAQ-03.htm#Stock

My Bad I didn't see your sig block the above info is for a 1100. I'll leave it for anybody else that might be looking for it.

Here's your info: There's a lot of different ones so just look under exhaust on this page.

http://www.650ccnd.com/ht.htm

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Exhaust buggerbear

Boy when I seen some of the photos of this exhaust I though how could that be cut to look like that:confused: Take a 2" hole saw and clean up the ends. The small tube is pressed in- pull it out. If you wont it to be louder, some take a long drill and drill through the 2nd baffle plate. This plate can be seen through the plate that the small tube is pressed in too. Also this photo shows the passenger foot peg much better.

·
Administrator
13,653 Posts
Any suggestion on what is best to do to these now?
yeah that thing is ugly. you're correct, the previous owner has drilled out the sound baffle. the jagged cut could be due to rust or oxidation. what do you want from the pipes? are you wanting them louder, quieter, cleaner sounding?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Vance and Hines slip ons would be a great option. Mine are 4 years old and still look great. I pulled the baffles out and took the packing off and put them back in. You will likely have to rejet. I'm in PA and run about 400-2200 elevation. Your mileage may vary depending on where you ride. The sound is deep and throaty and comfortable at cruising speeds. You will appreciate the increase in performance also.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah that thing is ugly. you're correct, the previous owner has drilled out the sound baffle. the jagged cut could be due to rust or oxidation. what do you want from the pipes? are you wanting them louder, quieter, cleaner sounding?
Don't want them too too loud at idle. Want a good growl.
Want to clean up the jagged parts - Maybe a slash cut on end?
Some have said to pull out the middle pipe??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts