Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2005 V Star 1100. The bike didn't have plates on it so I wasn't able to take anything other than a short ride down a country backroad. Once I purchased the bike and was able to get it out on the interstate I was disappointed that it seemed to rev out at about 70 - 75 mph. Seems to be geared very low. Is this the case for all the 1100's? Don't get me wrong - the thing pulls like crazy through all gears and runs very smooth - just seems to be geared too low??? Normal??

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an 09 1100. I can and have gone much faster than 75mph. In fact I have had it up to 95mph and had some throttle left. I am no expert but something sounds wrong to me. Others might have ideas but you might consider having a mechanic look at it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Could the clutch be slipping? 70-75 is slow. I was doing 90+ on the way to work today. If somebody put the wrong oil "Energy Conserving" the friction modifiers will let the clutch slip.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Top end

Retired,

This might be far fetched but look at the model plate behind the headlight and be sure it is an 1100 not a 650.

Is the clutch slipping? Has the bike been stored a long time? Carbs might be gumed up, or synced.

Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Retired,

This might be far fetched but look at the model plate behind the headlight and be sure it is an 1100 not a 650.

Is the clutch slipping? Has the bike been stored a long time? Carbs might be gumed up, or synced.

Dave
I've checked - it's an 1100. Doesn't sound like the clutch is slipping. Previous owner switched to a full synthetic but I wouldn't imagine this would effect the performance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
5 speeds bite

I have a 1100 2006 and find the same problem yep had it to a 100+ but sounds like it is going to blow up again lacking a tach dont know what rpms cruzes well at 60-70 otherwise sound to be running to high for my liking. I might by a road star today 1700. but again it is injected and only has 5 speed it a 08 with 3000 miles loaded for 7500.00 I think the 2010 road start or stratoliner is a 6 speed this has been a complaint in the industry from all owners at interstae speeds the bikes seem to run hard and not at cruz rpms. Some are starting to put 6 sppeds with over drives.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
410 Posts
According to the tach I mounted on my 1100 I am turning 4000 rpm at about 75 mph. I run at 75-80 with no problems. I think the stock pipes my make the engine sound like it is ready to blow. With my shoguns it sound very good at that speed, even up to 6500. Although I don't recommed 6500 for long.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You can run that thing all day at 80 mph. I rode a 650 for a few years before stepping up to the 950....they both revved high, as well. And were happy to do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help guys! Like the say, "drive it like ya stole it" I'll just drive the dog pee out of it!

You can run that thing all day at 80 mph. I rode a 650 for a few years before stepping up to the 950....they both revved high, as well. And were happy to do it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
They love to rev. Don't worry, you won't wear it out. I don't even shift mine into 5th until I hit 60-65. Mine is an 06 1100 and it is governed at 115. Mustang GT's pull away from you only when you hit that mark...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yeah mine is an 08 it loves to cruise at 90. On a long trip a year ago the wife gave me the green light to get home 2 up we were going 110 the bike did it no problem. Granted I would not suggest doing the same getting home safe if better then getting home quick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts