Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a 2001 V star 650. The bike has 2,850 miles on it and has not been ran since 2008. Friend stored it inside and it looks like new. Once started on choke, it would idle but die when throttled. I drained the tank added stabilizer and cleaned the plugged jets. Engine cranks like it has even compression and starts and will now take throttle but, running somewhat rough. Noted that the forward cylinder is cool to the touch and exhaust gases are also cold. Rear cylinder warms up normally. Pulled front plug which was gas fouled. Replace plug and no change in the condition. just checked coil ignition systems resistance with a fluke 87 III. on the 400 ohm setting both coils are at 4.30 ohms resistance. secondary coil resistance at 400 ohms settings: Rear 21.87 Front 21.57.

I have ran out of ideals. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

Roger

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm not sure if this will help but I had the same problem, bike sitting and running on one cylinder. It turned out the carb was gumeded up. Can you tell if you are getting spark to Forward cylinder? I know you cleaned the jets, did you pull the carbs and soak or spray cleaner while on the bike. I'm sure other here can be more help but this was excatly my issue (except rear cylinder wasn't running). My problem was fixed by removing, cleaning, and syncing the carbs. Anyway good luck and hopefully someone else may have better info on the coil resistances.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a million. I just hooked up a automotive spark plug ignition tester to the plug wire and will see if there is visible spark (was previously unsure if it would work with the bikes long spark plug boot ). Looks like it should work. If spark is present, I will definitely pull the carbs.
Back to the garage and thanks again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The node tester worked. I have spark. Should have used it prior to thinking past the basics. Been out of the game for too long :).

Will re-visit the carbs

·
Registered
782 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I would love to help you out but I have ZERO knowledge if anything mechanical. Now you are going to get a handful of people that are going to beg and plead for pictures. They will also tell you about contest and prizes if you post pictures so start posting.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Kayak is correct, you need to post pics and fast. The more pics, the more likely you will get help. In fact, most people find that once they post pics, the problems all fix themselves. Just a thought.

Oh, I almost forgot the prizes! For every pic you post you get an entry in the monthly new member prize contest. Last month they gave away a Stratoliner 1900. Of course, that pretty much blew the prize budget for the decade, but still - post up those pics.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum Roger. lots of great folks on here that are willing to help; but you already noticed that. I think that if you post a nice pic or two, a nice barn strat might be made available for the monthly prize ;). Post to get a chance on it :)

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Welcome aboard and +1 on re-visiting the carbs. Might also be worth while to check the fuel lines for blockage/restrictions. Good luck :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts