Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The V Star kinda drives me crazy with the oil level indicator. When I first got the bike, I built a center stand to check/change oil, then changed the oil & filter. When I added the correct amount of oil, as per the manual (3 qts I believe), it appeared to be over the full line.

Yesterday, months later (and ~5K miles), I put it on the stand, checked it and it appeared quite low, so I fired up the motor for a minute and checked it again. At this point I at least got an indication of oil at the bottom of the glass. I added oil carefully, checking the level, and repeating the process until it came close to full. I added well over 1/2 quart. This morning, I put it on the center stand and it is overfull again, completely filling the window.

What gives? And do I need to drain some oil (not fun!) to get the level down to full, or just let it vent to the air filter?

·
Registered
254 Posts
You can get a book on your bike for free on the internet. If your oil level is too high you must remove some oil. It will damage your seals. You should check your oil while engine is warm.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Checking oil

Couple of thoughts. The bike must be fully warmed up then allowed to settle before checking oil.

Wonder if you stand keeps the bike level front to rear? The sight glass is toward the front of the engine. When I had a V Star I sat on the bike holding it up and using a mirror to see it. Never tried to be critical.

Dave

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My stand tends to raise the rear tire just slightly. At this point, I realize I should have checked the bike after running it.

But getting back to my immediate problem - should I open up the drain plug to bleed off some oil. That's going to be a real mess. And I put expensive syn oil in it!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
bluesjr, I agree trying to ckeck the oil is a headache. This is on an 1100 Silverado, what I do is make sure all the dirty oil is out, then the book says 3.28 qt to refill w/filter, so I put in 3 qt plus 8oz, since it does not leak and does not burn oil, she is good to go till the next time. Ride worry free. Hope this can help with your problem, the sight glass is a very poor set up:( Ride safe.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Maybe you could try to siphon some with a small 1/4" hose. If it's too high you have to lower it, it will cause seals to leak and you will get oil in your breather. I bought a atv jack from Northern Tool Co modified it a little and it lifts my bike level.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use two things 1st i took a white zip tie checked oil on level inserted tie thru filler opening you have to do a little manouvering till bottom then mark at top of opening then remoce tie and mark oil level. 2nd i purchased an aftermarket unit bolts to inside of kickstand has an angled mirror this allows you to straddle bike look down and seelevel thru site window glenn

·
Registered
119 Posts
Instead of draining or siphoning the over-filled oil, use a sprayer from a spray bottle.
Now there's a good idea. If you have an oil/fluid extractor (vacuume pump) you can do the same.

To do damage you would have grossly over fill the bike. Not 1/2 a qt, etc. Your seals will be just fine. You are not helping performance as you can cause some cavitation but again it does not sound like you poured a ton extra in there.

One thing to keep in mind when changing your oil and filter. Pour enough oil in to go about mid way on the window, or even to the top mark and then let the bike run for a little bit. This will completely soak the filter, etc. Then check the oil again as per the manual. You'll see that the oil level is lower than before you ran the bike. Add a little bit at a time as needed.

I usually fill the filter with oil before installing it in order to saturate the media but it's sort of messy with the cartridge type.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the ideas. You guys may have saved me from an ugly scene (talking about oil all over the place, not me getting out a hammer!). I'll report back.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. You guys may have saved me from an ugly scene (talking about oil all over the place, not me getting out a hammer!). I'll report back.
One thing I always do is, I go to Home Depot and get a roll of clear plastic, (paint deptment) it's very inexpensive, and I cover a good
part of the garage floor with it whenever I'm gonna change the oil in my lawn mowers or my motorcycle. Cuz no matter how careful I try to be, I always end up with some spilling somewhere, somehow.
Then I just pick up the plastic by the corners and no mess.
Just a suggestion. Works good for me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use the syphon pump for my boat oil changes when I only need to take out a small amount. No mess.
I tried a spray bottle plunger. It worked but my elbow was falling off (tendinitis), so I bought a $13 syphon at Kragen's. That worked much better/faster. And I can use it again, to change the brake fluid. I had overfilled a little over 1 cup.

Btw, anyone know how much oil to add when the oil is at the lower sight line?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Today I have noticed that my oil led was on, when wanted to start engine. Later, it went off and didn't appear any more. May be I have to add some oil? I know how to check oil and will do it soon.
Could you please tell me how to add oil if I need to?
My bike is V star 1100
Thanks

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts