Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in or around Canada that wants to swap my v star front pulley for your Stryker pulley. If even be willing to go for a tour and meet you. Will be joining through Montana Idaho Wyoming at the beginning of september. Pm me

·
Registered
124 Posts
I read about the pulley swap. If I understand correctly the Stryker has a 31 tooth belt and the V-Star has a 30 tooth belt, so swapping the pulleys will give your V-Star lower rpm at cruise speeds (top end) - but sacrifice slow low rpm grunt. Do I have this correct.

If so, I'd rather have a 29 tooth belt on my V-Star as the low end torque and take-off-from-a-stop grunt is what I'm after. I don't cruise much above 50-60 mph.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
The butt-o-meter will not notice the difference due to the good torque of the v-twin. The fuel mileage would be better. Also, you would not feel like it needs to go another gear above 60 MPH It is a good swap.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good points. Thnaks

·
Registered
609 Posts
I read about the pulley swap. If I understand correctly the Stryker has a 31 tooth belt and the V-Star has a 30 tooth belt, so swapping the pulleys will give your V-Star lower rpm at cruise speeds (top end) - but sacrifice slow low rpm grunt. Do I have this correct.

If so, I'd rather have a 29 tooth belt on my V-Star as the low end torque and take-off-from-a-stop grunt is what I'm after. I don't cruise much above 50-60 mph.
Good luck
I assume you mean a 30 or 31-tooth pulley, not belt, right?

Sounds interesting to me too. I definitely like my low end torque, but absolutely dislike that feeling of "wanting sixth gear" at cruising speeds. Think I'll keep an eye on ebay for one. Worst that happens is the butt-o-meter DOES detect a diff and I swap it back and sell it on...

·
Administrator
13,272 Posts
i've been trying to swap my 950 pulley for a stryker for a year now. finally found a guy online and we were all set to swap a few weeks ago, then he realizes he doesn't have the tools to do it himself and will take it to a shop in 6 weeks. i was a little perturbed, but i've waited this long and this is the first nibble i've got on my quest. since he's up north, he doesn't mind shipping me his and waiting for me since he's outside of riding season. i guess his shop doesn't mind sitting on his bike for a couple weeks waiting for my pulley. i've been sworn by members here that there is no noticeable loss in low end torque from the swap and everybody has been happy with it. so if i'm not happy with the results, i'm hunting down each of these members like John Wick with a dead puppy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've read that the pulley swap does throw the speedometer off by a few mph - so just be aware of that. The pulley part number is 27D-17651-00-00. Ebay has a some, but if you can swap for free, then by all means.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
On most of the threads I read on this it brought the speedo closer to correct. I know mine on my 950T was off by almost 7mph. I did the math and a stryker pulley would have brought it to within 2 mph.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts