Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone changed their handlebars on a vstar 1300 tour model. i need about 4 inch longer bars, i have a short arm lenth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Google for... RSTD bars 1300

There's a shed load of info on this - its probably one of the most common mods and there are plently of options. I've changed mine to the RSTD bars and its dead straightforward. You'll need to change the grips too or get new bar ends. Took me 45 mins to do, and its made huge difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
has anyone changed their handlebars on a vstar 1300 tour model. i need about 4 inch longer bars, i have a short arm lenth.
I'm also on the short side so I had the V Star 950 bars installed on my 1300 and it is a much better riding position for me. It will not give you the 4 inches you are looking for but it will bring the bar back and more up-right. No other modifications were necessary to change the bars. The 950 bars also looks much better on the 1300, I think it fits the bike much better than the stock bars. I do wish I could get them back about one more inch but I think it would require several other modifications and dollars to get that inch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have a look at http://vstar1300.pbworks.com/Handlebars+-+Controls+-+Cables

Its a good listing of some of the options, although I'm suspicious of the numbers quoted for the 950 bars at 16" of pullback compared to the 10.5" stock bars. 5.5 more inches of pullback plus the fact they are wider too??? I can't see the stock cables stretching to this, so I'm with BigRed on this that it can't be giving you as much extra pullback as that.

I've fitted the RSTD bars and I'd say the extra pullback was about 4" as per the table. You get away with the stock cables, only I think because the RSTD bars are narrower, which cuts you a bit of slack. You will need to order the RSTD bars ends though as the 13 stock one's will not fit. Or you replace the stock grips with Kuryakin ISO grips, which look (IMO) much better, and are cheaper than the bars ends anyway.

You can find a step by step guide to doing this here... http://www.1300tourer.com/node/1381

1 - 4 of 4 Posts