Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've noticed that my new 1300 has a speedometer that reads about 14% higher than the actual speed. I've got 2700 miles on the bike since new a few months ago and thinking about new tires for next spring.(I plan to ride another 3000-4000 more miles this year). Is there a better size tire for the bike than the oem that will also bring the speedo to a more accurate reading?

Next, what is the best brand/model tire available? I don't care about price, I care about quality of the ride, tread life and wear.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've noticed that my new 1300 has a speedometer that reads about 14% higher than the actual speed. I've got 2700 miles on the bike since new a few months ago and thinking about new tires for next spring.(I plan to ride another 3000-4000 more miles this year). Is there a better size tire for the bike than the oem that will also bring the speedo to a more accurate reading?

Next, what is the best brand/model tire available? I don't care about price, I care about quality of the ride, tread life and wear.
Michelin Commander 2 are the highest rated in tests and many great testimonials on all websites.
You won't find a tire that will fit and correct the speedo error.
Perhaps a front pulley change.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,637 Posts
I second the Commander II recommendation. I ride an 1100. On third set of them. Over 20k miles on each set. The speedometer accuracy has been discussed before. I've documented error using a GPS enabled speedometer app on my phone. My bike reads at least 10% high. I just accept that it's off and don't worry about it. Reading a little high might even help me from not getting tickets.?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Michelin Commander 2 are the highest rated in tests and many great testimonials on all websites.
You won't find a tire that will fit and correct the speedo error.
Perhaps a front pulley change.
I changed my front pulley, added 2 teeth. Speedo was still 9% high. +1 on the Michelin Commander 2's, great tire!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I should mention the tire size I got was 180/65/16. 170/70/16 is not available in the Michelin.
But the diameter is almost identical, just a fraction bigger than stock.
But much wider, more than the size indicates. Looks awesome back there, but the handling is so much better than stock it's hard to believe.

·
Administrator
13,674 Posts
I should mention the tire size I got was 180/65/16. 170/70/16 is not available in the Michelin.
and that you have a 950, and not a 1300 as the OP has.
when i stepped up to a larger tire from a 170 to a 180 on my 950, my speedo did become more accurate by a few percentage points. i run Dunlop Elite 3's. on my first set i got 30K miles on both the front and rear before deciding to replace them since i had begun slipping a tad in turns. the tread never wears down on them. they just harden over time. i'd say ideally they should be replaced at least every 2 yrs/20K miles for the set. if you only put on 4K miles a year, you probably don't need such a high mileage tire.

·
Registered
127 Posts
and that you have a 950, and not a 1300 as the OP has.
when i stepped up to a larger tire from a 170 to a 180 on my 950, my speedo did become more accurate by a few percentage points. i run Dunlop Elite 3's. on my first set i got 30K miles on both the front and rear before deciding to replace them since i had begun slipping a tad in turns. the tread never wears down on them. they just harden over time. i'd say ideally they should be replaced at least every 2 yrs/20K miles for the set. if you only put on 4K miles a year, you probably don't need such a high mileage tire.
I got the Michelin because I was only replacing the rear tire and was advised against mixing the radial Dunlop with bias ply front Dunlop. The commander 2 only came in 180/65/16 profile and its diameter is virtually identical to the 170/70/16 original tire.
What profile was the 180 Elite you put on your bike? I don't remember when I was shopping if a 70 profile was available, that would help speedo accuracy slightly.

·
Administrator
13,674 Posts
Why are people so intent on sending out false information? Of course you can correct a speedo error with a different tire size. People do it all the time. I've did it myself on a couple of bikes.
which bikes were they? as far as modern production bikes, i don't recall if i've seen anyone post on any forum that a different tire they installed completely corrected the accuracy of their speedo.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Different tire size will correct the speedo error but only a percentage of it so depending how much your speedo is out. Certainly won't correct a 14% error but it will be a smaller margin. Why not buy a SpeedoDRD or other speedo calibrator and just program it and plug it in? Problem solved.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
This is a common problem on cars when you want a wider tire for better stability, or a narrower tire for better fuel economy

playing with the width and aspect ratio (the 2nd number on the tire) you can usually find one that is close...

but to change tire sizes to get a speedo to be accurate is nuts! Pick the tires for your bike that will give you the handling and final drive ratio you want, and then mentally calibrate your speedometer with a GPS. Put a sticky note on your handlebar if you need help remembering: 70MPH =65...

·
Administrator
13,674 Posts
Bud, it's simple physics. A bigger tire takes less revolutions at the axle to go the same distance. All you have to do is use simple math to figure out how much percent bigger the tire has to be in order to correct the discrepancy. There's even a formula to gauge it. Yeah, if it's like 14%, then probably not feasible. All the way up to about 7%, no biggie. And I find it very hard to believe you've never heard of anybody doing this. And modern bikes are no different than older bikes.
because math and real world application don't always mix. for instance, the stock rear tire on a VStar950 is 170/70-16. i don't think anyone has been able to put on a 200 tire without changing out the fender. and multiple shops have flat out said it won't fit with the stock fender. same as other production models - unless you're going to change your whole rear end, it's difficult to find a tire with the correct size that will in effect correct the speedo accuracy by 100%. and i don't know when production bikes started having this 10% differential, but it seems to be for all major companies making bikes in this century. but i'm sure you already know all that. that's why i asked which bikes you managed to correct yours by 100%? and also, how did you test the speedo accuracy on yours before and after?

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
there is a science fiction story written long ago, The Marching Morons. Great story.

All the intelligent people only had 1 or 2 children at most, while the unwashed masses reproduced like rats. As result the average intelligence of the population dropped and dropped over the centuries.

I think it was the first book with this premise. One of the things the intelligent people did was to make cars slower, but louder and more rocket-looking with fins and wings and scoops... They gradually changed the signs on the roads and increased the speedometers on the cars

so they indicated they were going 100 miles per hour, and making all kinds of engine and wind noise, but they were really only going about 35...

Now I wonder.......

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
well.... if a lot of bikes are saying you are going 70 when you are only going 62,
then it has begun

throw in some straight pipes
and bikes that look like space ships
and things that make extra wind noise...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts