Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is a copper joint in the vacuum tubing of my bike that is solid. Is this correct? Might as well be plugged off. Starts at connection on boot under the carb and goes to the AIS. Found it when I was synchronizing my carburetors. I thought maybe mine had been modified. Anybody know about this? 2004 V Star 650 Classic... Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
looks like the person that put the aftermarket exhaust on the bike disabled the Air Injection System (AIS).

Its function is to pump fresh air thru the exhaust to burn off fuel in the catalytic converter. Very few after market exhaust pipes have cats so its common to disable the AIS. It does not improve or harm the operation of the engine to disable it.

Most people take all the AIS hoses and pump off the bike, to make the engine look better/cleaner. In california you are suppose to keep it on the bike, so people find clever ways to disable it so you cant tell its been blocked. Some people get confused and do that when they dont really need to (instead of just taking it all off the bike).

Before you rip it all out talk to a dealer mechanic and see if keeping it is required in your state for the vehicle inspection. When the bike is inspected they have no way of telling if the AIS has been blocked, but if its all missing and it is required in your state, the bike will fail the inspection.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It makes sense now. I kept looking at it, and after looking up the part it was called a pipe, so I couldn't understand why it was solid. They did a good camouflage job. After balancing the carburetors, mine is running pretty darn good with it in. I guess I'll just leave it. I don't think it is required in my state (Kentucky).

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts