Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Valve adjustment on V Star 950

14K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  YamaMassGirl 
#1 ·
Has anyone done the valve adjustment on the 950? My motorcycle mechanic friend said he would help me with it. But I've been learning how to do basic maintenence on my bike.

Can anyone recommend any resources or videos for doing good the adjustment. I'm sure I can't do it alone, but my motorcycle mechanic friend told me he would teach me how to do it. So I want to learn!

#6 ·
One of the biggest reasons the valve seem to not wear as much is the rocker arms contact the cam via roller bearings, this design is only on the new Yamaha engines found on the 1300, Stryker and 950, and bolt. This is also the reason people complain about noisy valve trains o these bikes due to the roller bearing noise.

#9 ·
I bit the bullet and took the bike into the shop for the adjustment. I have a friend that offered to help show me how to do it. But he's so busy. I've already put close to a thousand miles on since I came back from crossing the country, and that trip was 7,185 miles. (All in all I've put over 13,000 miles on my bike this season!)

I like the idea of getting all maintenence done before winter so it's ready for Spring. And who knows how many more miles I'll put on before it snows here in Massachusetts!

#10 ·
I dont know for the 950 but the 650 shop manual is online, or at least you can find it every once in a while online.

There is nothing particularly difficult about adjusting the valves, most of the work is getting everything off and out of the way to get to them, and then putting it all back on. But its all pretty simple wrenching. BTW getting a torque wrench is a good idea.

I owned a lot of air cooled VWs back in the 20th century, and adjusting the valves was a 3000 mile tuneup task, along with changing the oil. After a few times you get a feel for it.

#12 ·
Thanks for sharing Tom HB. I went the easy route and had the shop do it. My motorcycle guru friend scolded me, because he said he would walk me through it. But I had money left in a service package I bought when I purchased a bike from them.

I recently watch my friend do an adjustment on the GS1100G we are working on. Seems like I could learn how to do it. It's just intimidating doing such seemingly involved task.

Thanks again for video! :)

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.