Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here done their own valve adjustment? I googled it and it doesn't seem too difficult, but the one thing that freaks me out is the dowel pins. Can these drop into the motor if they fall out or will the fall out at all? Seems like a fairly simple process but getting those rocker covers makes me nervous. Any encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I read somewhere that the roadstar lifter is the same is an automotive 2011 any ideas about that? I know most lifters have approx .60 thousands clearance in the lifters so that would just about take any slack up in the rocker arms.

·
Registered
22 Posts
http://www.scribd.com/doc/63932766/Roadstar-xv1600-servicemanual1602082008

Page 11 of 449:
Hydraulic valve lifters
Since the hydraulic valve-lifting mechanism maintains a valve clearance of zero, periodicvalve clearance adjustments are unnecessary.The advantages of this system as compared to conventional techniques include the follow-ing: mechanical noise is reduced, the camshaft action on the valves remains unaffected byengine speed or temperature, and the valve timing is kept stable.

I read somewhere the initial service is the only time valves are adjusted.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It's the chrysler/jeep lifter, they can be had for about $3, I can get the P/N if needed. But you don't change the lifters without doing cams($250) as they mate to each other, and doing one will result in doing both again in short order. I had a colapsed lifter, they're hydraulic. I replaced just the lifter, and a month later the lifters and cams.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts