Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just noticed one of the 4 plastic retainers in it that holds the needle assembly is broken, its #4 on the Carb diagram of parts.... i just saw the price and its almost 50 bucks just for that F#$&&&# piece of plastic.... does anyone know if there is an aftermarket that is cheaper and decently priced? , or can I still use it without the 4 plastic clips?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen. I searched and could not find an aftermarket piece. I paid the stealership nearly $70 because I couldn't wait for shipping from Partzilla. I did buy a second one from Partzilla. I figured if the plastic was that brittle on the first one... The little needle holder thingy with the o ring won't stay in place with one of the fingers broken.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the exact same thing happen. I searched and could not find an aftermarket piece. I paid the stealership nearly $70 because I couldn't wait for shipping from Partzilla. I did buy a second one from Partzilla. I figured if the plastic was that brittle on the first one... The little needle holder thingy with the o ring won't stay in place with one of the fingers broken.

Holy smokes!!!.... :eek::eek::eek::eek:... $70 bucks??.... the stealership here has it for $52 and its in stock, i think im gonna have to take that route... :(:(:(:mad:

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
59 Posts
After I installed my Chubby pod kit and Cobra 2 into 1 exhaust I had the same problem. The bike just labored and felt sluggish. The spark plugs were white as snow. Way too lean. I made one change at a time and started to richen it up. Now, PMS are at 4 turns, I've got #30 pilot jets, needles are shimmed stock + 2 and 152.5 mains and finally I've got a little color on the spark plugs and the bike runs the best it's ever run from idle to wide open. Good throttle response, revs good and great torque. I know I'm richer than most but that's what it took for me. Don't give up. I got really sick of taking the seat, tank and carbs off my bike but it's worth it. I'm extremely happy with the way it runs now.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After I installed my Chubby pod kit and Cobra 2 into 1 exhaust I had the same problem. The bike just labored and felt sluggish. The spark plugs were white as snow. Way too lean. I made one change at a time and started to richen it up. Now, PMS are at 4 turns, I've got #30 pilot jets, needles are shimmed stock + 2 and 152.5 mains and finally I've got a little color on the spark plugs and the bike runs the best it's ever run from idle to wide open. Good throttle response, revs good and great torque. I know I'm richer than most but that's what it took for me. Don't give up. I got really sick of taking the seat, tank and carbs off my bike but it's worth it. I'm extremely happy with the way it runs now.

thanks man , after reading your post I think im gonna go with Pods and dump the K&N cone filter i currently have even tho i love the looks of that chromed up cone.... im working blindly with that intake system and its driving me nuts, i need an intake system that is less of a miss so Ill just go with the pods.,.. where did you get yours?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I just went and bought the new one for the sake of saving time.... installed it, went down to 2.5 turns on PMS, down to 1 shim on the needle and its still giving the same problems of running sluggish and popping.. :(:(:( .. im about to give up and just take it to a shop..
why dont you try setting the screws at two turns out might clear out the sluggishness

·
Registered
59 Posts
thanks man , after reading your post I think im gonna go with Pods and dump the K&N cone filter i currently have even tho i love the looks of that chromed up cone.... im working blindly with that intake system and its driving me nuts, i need an intake system that is less of a miss so Ill just go with the pods.,.. where did you get yours?
SS Custom Cycle. The original "Chubby" pod kit. I hear you on the cool looking intake. I had a Hypercharger and same as you, I loved the looks but performance comes first. :D Please don't get me wrong and I'm appreciative of everyone on the forum that gave me advice but none of it worked for me. My spark plugs were white as snow. As soon as I started to go richer than anyone told me I'd ever need to be, the bike started running better and better. Maybe I missed it but what do your spark plugs look like? Are they white like mine were? You said the float bowl seemed difficult to reinstall. The main jet holder(#10 in the carb diagram)has an o ring(#44). Mick is telling you to remove that o ring. That's why it's hard to fit the float bowl. That o ring fits tight in the bottom of the float bowl and you don't need it since you have aftermarket exhaust. The other o ring that Mick mentioned is the tiny o ring on top of the carb under the diaphragm cover. That one is #23 in the diagram. It's easy to lose them and overlook the fact that they aren't there. I think the experienced guys on the forum forget what it's like when you first start out taking carbs apart and trying to diagnose and tune yourself. I am a former national champion shifter kart tuner and these carbs took me awhile to figure out as far as tuning goes. Hang in there man, you will be way proud of yourself once this is ironed out!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I think the experienced guys on the forum forget what it's like when you first start out taking carbs apart and trying to diagnose and tune yourself.
I know we may forget and I do apologize for that....but then again, when someone that may have a little knowledge tells you what you need to do, and you don't listen and just do it the way you want.....you may not get the results you expected. We honestly try to help...but sometimes it's a kind of frustrating if only parts of the advice are followed.....and we can't tell if the pieces are even in the right places.

I guess that's when the owner needs to decide to let somebody with some experience finish the job. Hopefully they'll let you watch what they do so you can learn.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know we may forget and I do apologize for that....but then again, when someone that may have a little knowledge tells you what you need to do, and you don't listen and just do it the way you want.....you may not get the results you expected. We honestly try to help...but sometimes it's a kind of frustrating if only parts of the advice are followed.....and we can't tell if the pieces are even in the right places.

I guess that's when the owner needs to decide to let somebody with some experience finish the job. Hopefully they'll let you watch what they do so you can learn.
Hi Mick, As I said, I appreciate anyone who takes time out of their busy schedule to offer help and I am in the same boat in my chosen profession. I need to remember that I was a rookie HVAC tech once too. Please don't take my comment the wrong way. It's all good.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Hi Mick, As I said, I appreciate anyone who takes time out of their busy schedule to offer help and I am in the same boat in my chosen profession. I need to remember that I was a rookie HVAC tech once too. Please don't take my comment the wrong way. It's all good.
LOL ...not at all... it's all good.....just telling the other side of the story.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts