Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be an idiot but the 10 minute install everyone talks about doesn't work for me. My question: After I discovered the OEM gasket had to be removed the muffler slipped on quite easily but I can't get it up far enough on the manifold for the rear mounting bolts to line up I am about 1/8" shy . I loosened up the last heat shield bracket. Does the heat shield have to be totally loosened to allow the muffler to moved forward enough? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,768 Posts
Hi Mike, unless the V&H mounts differently than the 4" Cobra slip on, it all should have ligned up without any problems. In August i swapped out my factory muffler for the Cobra 4". When i removed the factory muffler, i didnt have to loosen the chrome heat shield at all. Upon installing the Cobra muffler, i merely slid it on in a small circular fashion, installed the two rear mounting bolts, leaving them loose. Then i tightened down the clamp with the supplied hardware onto the exhaust pipe, and went back to the rear mounting bolts and snugged them down. I went back two weeks later and checked to make sure all was still tight. How many miles are on your bike? My 950 had a little over 13k on it when i did the swap. Hope this helps in some small way.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Are you talking about the Classic II slip-ons? I don't recall any gasket on my stock mufflers.

Did you install the new muffler bracket from V&H correctly. As I recall, the pictures in the directions weren't very clear.

I never touched the heat shield on mine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just put a slip on on my 950 a few weeks back. I don't recall having to remove a gasket. The stock clamp, yes. I got a Rush slip on, and like you had about 1/8" to go before it was flush with the back bolt holes. All I did, since it wouldn't go all the way by hand, was folded up my flannel and put it on the end of the exhaust, and gave it a couple light kicks with my boot. Voila, perfect, flush, no issues, no dents. It's just a super tight fit, which is totally fine.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I did have to loosen the heat shield for that last 1/8 inch. Definite improvement on the sound. A little loud in the garage though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're not an idiot. I had to remove the last heat shield clamp and slip the V&H under the edge of the heat shield to get it on. It's annoying and seems like a bit of a design flaw. On top of that, the bolts they sent with mine were the wrong thread pitch. Luckily, the mounting bungs were the same as the stock exhaust so I could just use the original bolts. I won't buy from V&H again. These sound good and look nice, but there were just too many problems with the install that just shouldn't have been there in a commercial product like this. Anyway, just thought you'd appreciate knowing that it's not just yours.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like we had the exact same issues. I went as far as to re tap the muffler because I cross threaded trying to make it work. Bought some SS hex head m10 x .150 instead of the Allen head they supplied.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts