Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I was out for a 5 hour ride. About 2 hours in (20 miles after fuel up) my bike just died cruising up the hiway. The temperature was about 104 F. It would crank, but not fire. So, I pulled out my trusty Yamaha tool kit and started to tear the bike apart. Eventually tried squirting fuel directly into the carb. This did give me fire for about 2 seconds. That told me that it was a fuel issue. When I turned the key on, I could not hear the fuel pump doing its thing. Checked the filter and found good flow. Disconnected the line from the pressure side of the fuel pump and cycled the ignition quickly. This activated the pump. Put the bike all back together, and didn't have another proem with it all day.
Is it possible I had a vapor lock in the fuel pump, or are these pumps known for being weak? I feel like I should buy a new pump. Should I go with a Honda fuel pump? Or does someone else make a better fuel pump for the 1100?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gas cap was the first thing I checked on the side of the road. I thought maybe it could have built up some vacuum, but there was no pressure difference in the tank.
Has anyone else had issues with the fuel pump?...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts