Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Is there a helmet lock on the bike?
2) Thought I read there is storage under the seat, is this true?
3) I'm picking my bike up in a few days and the dealer is trying hard to sell me an extended 3 yr warranty for the low price of $1000!! He says this covers all service items like oil changes, valve adjustments, etc.... Is this really worth the price? I ride for about 7 months out of the year and other than the 600 mile maintenance, all I can see needing are oil changes. Any thoughts??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
1 not that i found
2 cant be much, maybe a few pieces of paper. tiny tool bag is vertical in front of the battery.

3 YMMV. my wife bought the extended service plan (its a BIG cash cow for them) and got them to take half the price of it off the agreed on price of the bike.

if you look under the bike, the oil filter & drain plug are RIGHT THERE, can't be much easier. i just buy a big aluminum serving pan (think school cafeteria) and use that to catch the oil on my other bikes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
1) Under the seat. Not user friendly.

2) No storage under seat.

3) I got my extended warranty thrown in the deal. Dealer I purchased from only charges $685 normally so........ I don't think it covers normal service items either. Just an extension of the 1 year that comes with bike.

Had my 950 for a week now and have 400 miles on it. Love it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check ebay for the YES warranty (Yamaha Extended Service) I believe a dealer in Texas is selling the extended warranty for $600+

·
Administrator
15,539 Posts
1)it just takes a few seconds to unlock the seat, hang the helmet's D-ring on the hook on the left side of the frame, and snap the seat back on.

2)there is a basic tool set under the seat that i've used to change out some of the chrome plates and install a quick release windshield and take off the back seat. pretty handy.

3)service plans are there to make the dealership money, not save you money. so how difficult is it to change the oil on this thing? i've been told by each dealership i've gone to that you need to take off the exhaust to get to the oil filter, which doesn't sound like such a small job, plus they do check other things on the bike that's included in the change.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The initial 800 mile and every 4000 mile service on a 950 involve a valve adjustment in addition to the oil change. Oil change is easy but the valve adjustment falls into a bit more dis/re-assembly required. Cost is typically 3 hours labor. This is one of those do you want to spend your time riding of maintaining trade-offs.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The initial 800 mile and every 4000 mile service on a 950 involve a valve adjustment in addition to the oil change. Oil change is easy but the valve adjustment falls into a bit more dis/re-assembly required. Cost is typically 3 hours labor. This is one of those do you want to spend your time riding of maintaining trade-offs.

That's not so Whetstone, per owner's and Shop service/repair manuals valve adjustment on the 950 are every 16,000 miles. I don't know where the 4000 miles valve adjustment comes from but it's not from Yamaha and definitely not required unless there is a problem. Don't let the dealer talk you into 4k valve adjustments they're simply not needed, if they insist have them show you where Yamaha states that it is, I'll bet you they can't.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks, Sgt. Mike, my bad, I was looking at the 650/1100/1300 maintenance interval chart instead of the 950. I'm going to like doing most of the 950 maintenance myself and only let the dealer do it every 16,000!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.